A tax credit is an allowance that reduces the final amount of taxes owed on your federal income tax return. That compares with a tax deduction that reduces your taxable income which then is multiplied by a tax rate to arrive at the tax due. Hence, to many a tax credit is worth three to six times more than a tax deduction in terms of tax dollars saved.
Tax credits are rare but a recent one has allowed tax credit for investing in energy saving technologies such as solar panels. An earlier one allowed credit for investing in coal seam gas recovery.
Related Fool Articles
- [link link title]
Recent Mentions on Fool.com
- Polaris Industries Inc. Zooms Past Expectations
- Boeing's Q3 Earnings Preview: 4 Key Things You Want to Know
- Verizon Communications Inc. Misses on Earnings, But That's Not What Matters
- 2 Safe Dividend Stocks for Your Income Portfolio
- Halliburton Earnings: Estimates Shattered With Rock-Solid Results
- 6 Common Application and Screening Mistakes Property Managers Make