A tax credit is an allowance that reduces the final amount of taxes owed on your federal income tax return. That compares with a tax deduction that reduces your taxable income which then is multiplied by a tax rate to arrive at the tax due. Hence, to many a tax credit is worth three to six times more than a tax deduction in terms of tax dollars saved.
Tax credits are rare but a recent one has allowed tax credit for investing in energy saving technologies such as solar panels. An earlier one allowed credit for investing in coal seam gas recovery.
Related Fool Articles
- [link link title]
Recent Mentions on Fool.com
- 5 Things SolarCity's Management Wants You to Know
- These 2 Big Oil Companies Just Got the Cold Shoulder From the EPA
- 3 Reasons American Tower Corp.'s Stock Could Rise
- Why This Billionaire Still Believes in Coal
- The Coming Social Security Crisis Explained in Plain English
- Where the 7 States With No Income Tax Get Their Money