Tax-free bond fund
A tax-free bond fund is a mutual fund that invests in tax free bonds. Those bonds are primarily municipal bonds. Hence, most tax-free bond funds are in fact municipal bond funds (but check the prospectus for details of the investments they own).
Tax-free bond funds are free of federal income taxes. Funds are available that are also free of state income taxes. They are said to be double tax free. Some localities have local income taxes. Funds that are free of all three levels of income taxes are called triple tax free funds.
Related Fool Articles
- [link link title]
Recent Mentions on Fool.com
- The 3 Most Important IRA Rules
- Early Retirement: 7 Ways to Kill Your Chance of It
- Don't Let 401k 2014 Contribution Limits Prevent Your Dream Retirement
- The Best Ways to Pay for Your Child's College Education
- 401k Limits in 2014: How Much Should You Contribute?
- 401k Withdrawal Strategies: The Good and the Bad