Tax-free bond fund
A tax-free bond fund is a mutual fund that invests in tax free bonds. Those bonds are primarily municipal bonds. Hence, most tax-free bond funds are in fact municipal bond funds (but check the prospectus for details of the investments they own).
Tax-free bond funds are free of federal income taxes. Funds are available that are also free of state income taxes. They are said to be double tax free. Some localities have local income taxes. Funds that are free of all three levels of income taxes are called triple tax free funds.
Related Fool Articles
- [link link title]
Recent Mentions on Fool.com
- 401(k) Contribution Limits: Should You Max Them Out?
- Wealth Management Is Not Just for the Rich
- 3 Ways to Avoid Taxes on Your Investments
- Saving for College: 2 Great Ways You Can Fund Your Child's Education
- TSP: 5 Reasons Why It's the Best Retirement Plan Ever
- Which Retirement Account Should You Tap First?