Tax-free bond fund
A tax-free bond fund is a mutual fund that invests in tax free bonds. Those bonds are primarily municipal bonds. Hence, most tax-free bond funds are in fact municipal bond funds (but check the prospectus for details of the investments they own).
Tax-free bond funds are free of federal income taxes. Funds are available that are also free of state income taxes. They are said to be double tax free. Some localities have local income taxes. Funds that are free of all three levels of income taxes are called triple tax free funds.
Related Fool Articles
- [link link title]
Recent Mentions on Fool.com
- Is a DWS Mutual Fund Right for You?
- This $14 Trillion Problem Could Hurt Millions of Americans (Hint: It?s Not the National Debt)
- Will Your 401(k) Be Enough For Your Retirement?
- 15 Wise Moves to Make With Your Enormous Tax Refund
- 4 Investments You Can Make Completely Tax Free
- How to Become a Millionaire, With a Roth IRA