A stock exchange is the setting where investors meet to trade stocks. Exchanges also provide the technology needed to settle trades and ensure liquidity. While stock exchanges used to always be physical places, they are increasingly becoming virtual.
International exchanges are located in most major cities in Canada, Mexico, Europe, Asia, and South America. Africa? Australia?
Traditionally buy and sell orders were matched on an exchange by the specialist. Increasingly orders are being matched electronically.
Related Fool Articles
- [link link title]
- American Stock Exchange
- Annual performance of stock markets
- New York Stock Exchange
Recent Mentions on Fool.com
- Why Shares of Kayne Anderson MLP Investment Co. Dropped Today
- MannKind Corporation Was Obliterated in November -- Here's Why
- Electrifying News for General Electric Spells Doomsday for Electrolux?
- Alnylam Pharmaceuticals is Selling Off Today -- But Why?
- Debt Worries Send Chesapeake Energy Corporation?s Stock Spiraling Down 30.7% in November
- Last Week's Best Healthcare ETF