A stock exchange is the setting where investors meet to trade stocks. Exchanges also provide the technology needed to settle trades and ensure liquidity. While stock exchanges used to always be physical places, they are increasingly becoming virtual.
International exchanges are located in most major cities in Canada, Mexico, Europe, Asia, and South America. Africa? Australia?
Traditionally buy and sell orders were matched on an exchange by the specialist. Increasingly orders are being matched electronically.
Related Fool Articles
- [link link title]
- American Stock Exchange
- Annual performance of stock markets
- New York Stock Exchange
Recent Mentions on Fool.com
- The Sorry State of Sam's Club, and Why Wal-Mart Stores, Inc. Can't Give Up on the Warehouse
- Are Banks Actually Evil, or Does It Just Seem That Way?
- Our 5 Favorite Warren Buffett Quotes
- Warren Buffett Stocks: 3 Dividend Aristocrats From Berkshire Hathaway's Portfolio
- You'll Never Guess What Decade-Long Trend Obamacare Just Reversed
- 5 Big Takeaways From General Electric Company's Earnings