A stock exchange is the setting where investors meet to trade stocks. Exchanges also provide the technology needed to settle trades and ensure liquidity. While stock exchanges used to always be physical places, they are increasingly becoming virtual.
International exchanges are located in most major cities in Canada, Mexico, Europe, Asia, and South America. Africa? Australia?
Traditionally buy and sell orders were matched on an exchange by the specialist. Increasingly orders are being matched electronically.
Related Fool Articles
- [link link title]
- American Stock Exchange
- Annual performance of stock markets
- New York Stock Exchange
Recent Mentions on Fool.com
- Sprint's Cutting
- Why Illumina Is Down Big Today
- Down 25% This Year, Is Wal-Mart Stores Inc. a Buy?
- Despite the Progress, SandRidge Energy Inc. Still Has a Long Way to Go
- Why Mechel OAO (ADR)'s Shares Fell 22% in September
- Williams Companies' Megamerger Finally Official: What Dividend Investors Need to Know