A stock exchange is the setting where investors meet to trade stocks. Exchanges also provide the technology needed to settle trades and ensure liquidity. While stock exchanges used to always be physical places, they are increasingly becoming virtual.
International exchanges are located in most major cities in Canada, Mexico, Europe, Asia, and South America. Africa? Australia?
Traditionally buy and sell orders were matched on an exchange by the specialist. Increasingly orders are being matched electronically.
Related Fool Articles
- [link link title]
- American Stock Exchange
- Annual performance of stock markets
- New York Stock Exchange
Recent Mentions on Fool.com
- Will SodaStream's Investors Get Burned From a Buyout?
- Can HCA Holdings, inc. Stock Keep Growing?
- Generate Income With These Top Distribution Payers
- Is America?s Richest Family?s Wealth at Risk?
- 3 New Issues IPO Investors Need to Know About for This Week
- Will The Clorox Company Post Strong Fourth-Quarter Results or Will It Disappoint Again?