A stock exchange is the setting where investors meet to trade stocks. Exchanges also provide the technology needed to settle trades and ensure liquidity. While stock exchanges used to always be physical places, they are increasingly becoming virtual.
International exchanges are located in most major cities in Canada, Mexico, Europe, Asia, and South America. Africa? Australia?
Traditionally buy and sell orders were matched on an exchange by the specialist. Increasingly orders are being matched electronically.
Related Fool Articles
- [link link title]
- American Stock Exchange
- Annual performance of stock markets
- New York Stock Exchange
Recent Mentions on Fool.com
- Why Falling Ferrari Sales Are Good for Fiat Chrysler
- AbbVie's Humira Still a Growth Engine
- Stock Market Warning Signs: Another Record Month Shows $451.3 Billion of Debt Invested in the Market
- Costco Misses Earnings: Time to Sell or Buying Opportunity?
- Prospect Capital's Huge Dividend Opportunity, but You Have to Act Now
- 4 Companies With Political Risks and Major Upside