A stock exchange is the setting where investors meet to trade stocks. Exchanges also provide the technology needed to settle trades and ensure liquidity. While stock exchanges used to always be physical places, they are increasingly becoming virtual.
International exchanges are located in most major cities in Canada, Mexico, Europe, Asia, and South America. Africa? Australia?
Traditionally buy and sell orders were matched on an exchange by the specialist. Increasingly orders are being matched electronically.
Related Fool Articles
- [link link title]
- American Stock Exchange
- Annual performance of stock markets
- New York Stock Exchange
Recent Mentions on Fool.com
- The Most Disappointing Clinical Failures in 2014
- Why Do High-Yield Stocks Like American Realty Capital Bring Out Bad Executive Behavior?
- Price of Silver in 2015: Why It Could Bounce Higher
- The Market's 10 Best Stocks
- The 11 Largest IPOs of All Time
- A Firsthand Account of What It's Like to Re-Enroll for Obamacare