A stock exchange is the setting where investors meet to trade stocks. Exchanges also provide the technology needed to settle trades and ensure liquidity. While stock exchanges used to always be physical places, they are increasingly becoming virtual.
International exchanges are located in most major cities in Canada, Mexico, Europe, Asia, and South America. Africa? Australia?
Traditionally buy and sell orders were matched on an exchange by the specialist. Increasingly orders are being matched electronically.
Related Fool Articles
- [link link title]
- American Stock Exchange
- Annual performance of stock markets
- New York Stock Exchange
Recent Mentions on Fool.com
- ADP Earnings Fail to Impress, but Strong New Business Bookings Bode Well for Future Growth
- Has Ameresco Turned the Corner?
- Nokia Corporation Jumps 6% Thursday Despite Missing Sales Targets
- Gartner Inc. Earnings: FX Weighs on Results, but Contract Value Growth Impresses
- Chart Industries Earnings Beat Expectations in a Tough Environment
- Why Open Text Corporation Shares Skyrocketed Today