A stock exchange is the setting where investors meet to trade stocks. Exchanges also provide the technology needed to settle trades and ensure liquidity. While stock exchanges used to always be physical places, they are increasingly becoming virtual.
International exchanges are located in most major cities in Canada, Mexico, Europe, Asia, and South America. Africa? Australia?
Traditionally buy and sell orders were matched on an exchange by the specialist. Increasingly orders are being matched electronically.
Related Fool Articles
- [link link title]
- American Stock Exchange
- Annual performance of stock markets
- New York Stock Exchange
Recent Mentions on Fool.com
- Would You Block Online Ads Just to Make Your Internet Company More Money?
- 3 Lessons Investors Can Learn From SodaStream Stock's Dramatic Collapse
- 2 Things Windstream Holdings Inc. Dividend Investors Need to Know
- McDonald's, Amazon, and Philip Morris Investors Should Pay Attention To a Strengthening Dollar
- Where Can You Buy Bitcoins?
- Warren Buffett Says That Mistakes Are OK