A stock exchange is the setting where investors meet to trade stocks. Exchanges also provide the technology needed to settle trades and ensure liquidity. While stock exchanges used to always be physical places, they are increasingly becoming virtual.
International exchanges are located in most major cities in Canada, Mexico, Europe, Asia, and South America. Africa? Australia?
Traditionally buy and sell orders were matched on an exchange by the specialist. Increasingly orders are being matched electronically.
Related Fool Articles
- [link link title]
- American Stock Exchange
- Annual performance of stock markets
- New York Stock Exchange
Recent Mentions on Fool.com
- Comcast/Time Warner Cable Merger Decision Pushed Back to Mid-2015; Does This Kill the Deal?
- Facebook Inc. Makes Another Move Into Google's Mobile Ad Territory
- Markets Change. So Should You.
- Mark Zuckerberg at F8: 3 Innovations Facebook Inc Is Working On
- Why E Commerce China Dangdang Inc (ADR) Stock Popped Today
- Why Movado Group, Inc. Stock Popped Today