A stock exchange is the setting where investors meet to trade stocks. Exchanges also provide the technology needed to settle trades and ensure liquidity. While stock exchanges used to always be physical places, they are increasingly becoming virtual.
International exchanges are located in most major cities in Canada, Mexico, Europe, Asia, and South America. Africa? Australia?
Traditionally buy and sell orders were matched on an exchange by the specialist. Increasingly orders are being matched electronically.
Related Fool Articles
- [link link title]
- American Stock Exchange
- Annual performance of stock markets
- New York Stock Exchange
Recent Mentions on Fool.com
- Did General Electric Company Abandon the "Smart Home" of the Future?
- Too Little Risk Can Be Just as Dangerous as Too Much
- 6 Things I Learned From the Biography of Joseph Kennedy
- Why Enterprise Products Partners? Merger With Oiltanking Is Great for Investors
- 3 Reasons DirecTV's Stock Could Fall
- 3 Reasons SolarCity Corp Isn't Just a Solar Installer Anymore