A stock exchange is the setting where investors meet to trade stocks. Exchanges also provide the technology needed to settle trades and ensure liquidity. While stock exchanges used to always be physical places, they are increasingly becoming virtual.
International exchanges are located in most major cities in Canada, Mexico, Europe, Asia, and South America. Africa? Australia?
Traditionally buy and sell orders were matched on an exchange by the specialist. Increasingly orders are being matched electronically.
Related Fool Articles
- [link link title]
- American Stock Exchange
- Annual performance of stock markets
- New York Stock Exchange
Recent Mentions on Fool.com
- Capital Gains: What They Are and How They're Taxed
- 2 Things Philip Morris International Dividend Investors Need to Know
- Is Apple, Inc. Stock Headed to $60?
- Arctic Cat Inc. Earnings: Skidding but Not Quite Stuck
- Apple, Inc. (AAPL) and GT Advanced (GTAT) Officially Call It Quits
- General Motors Earnings Beat Estimates With Strong Margins