A stock exchange is the setting where investors meet to trade stocks. Exchanges also provide the technology needed to settle trades and ensure liquidity. While stock exchanges used to always be physical places, they are increasingly becoming virtual.
International exchanges are located in most major cities in Canada, Mexico, Europe, Asia, and South America. Africa? Australia?
Traditionally buy and sell orders were matched on an exchange by the specialist. Increasingly orders are being matched electronically.
Related Fool Articles
- [link link title]
- American Stock Exchange
- Annual performance of stock markets
- New York Stock Exchange
Recent Mentions on Fool.com
- 3 Reasons Pfizer Inc.'s Stock Could Fall
- Is It Time to Buy iRobot Corporation's Stock?
- 3 Reasons the PowerShares QQQ ETF (QQQ) Could Fall
- Backed by Google Ventures, the First Robot Hotel Butler Just Reported for Duty
- This Massive Hedge Fund Company Sold Warren Buffett's Company. Should You Buy?
- The 3 Best Dividend Stocks For Your Retirement