SLM (NYSE: SLM) is a holding company that operates through a number of subsidiaries. The Company's primary business is to originate and hold student loans by providing funding, delivery and servicing support for education loans in the United States. The company is commonly known as Sallie Mae.
Click here to go to the companys "About Us" page. Created in 1972 as a government-sponsored entity, Sallie Mae began privatizing its operations in 1997 and terminated ties to the federal government in 2004.
Through its subsidiaries, the company manages $236 billion in education loans and serves 11 million student and parent customers.
529 college savings plan
Recent Mentions on Fool.com
- How You Can Get Paid While College Students Study, Party, and Sleep
- The Student Loan Picture Is Getting Worse. What Does It Mean for This Lender?
- Why Silver Spring Networks, Elizabeth Arden, and Sallie Mae Tumbled Today
- Why This Jaw-Dropping Bank Move Is an Empty Threat
- Sallie Mae Keeping Fourth-Quarter Dividend Steady