A Royalty Trust is a type of limited partnership formed to gain tax advantages, usually invested in assets like crude oil, gas production, timber, iron ore, or real estate.
Royalty trusts are noted for their high yield as unit payments (they aren't dividends), which are partially protected from income taxes by depletion. The unit payments on US royalty trusts are not qualified dividends. The unit payments on Canadian royalty trusts are qualified (but their value changed sharply recently as Canada changed their tax requirements on these securities).
Related Fool Articles
Recent Mentions on Fool.com
- 20 Stocks With Monthly Dividends: San Juan Basin Royalty Trust
- Stocks with Monthly Dividends: Permian Basin Royalty Trust
- Stocks With Monthly Dividends 2014: Enduro Royalty Trust
- Stocks With Monthly Dividends: Hugoton Royalty Trust
- 3 Terrible High-Yield Dividend Stocks Retirees Need to Avoid
- High Yield Stocks for Dividend Investing: BP Prudhoe Bay Royalty Trust