Return of capital
Return of capital. The dividend payment received from certain companies is a return of capital in whole or in part rather than a share of profits. The return of capital portion of the payment is free from income tax but reduces your cost basis. Hence, you eventually pay income taxes at capital gains rates when you sell the shares.
Related Fool Articles
- [link link title]
Recent Mentions on Fool.com
- How Two Harbors Embraced Adaptation For Big Success
- Lockheed Martin Stock Pops on Earnings Beat, Raised Guidance
- Downstream Solar Companies, Funds Drive Strong Solar Investment
- High Volatility in Cotton: Should You Buy or Sell?
- Mobile Gaming Can Take These 2 Stocks to New Highs
- 3 Ways This Unintentional By-Product of the Energy Boom Could Make You Rich