Return of capital
Return of capital. The dividend payment received from certain companies is a return of capital in whole or in part rather than a share of profits. The return of capital portion of the payment is free from income tax but reduces your cost basis. Hence, you eventually pay income taxes at capital gains rates when you sell the shares.
Related Fool Articles
- [link link title]
Recent Mentions on Fool.com
- Everything You Need to Know About Asset Allocation
- 3 Reasons Twenty-First Century Fox, Inc. Stock Could Rise
- 3 Reasons iShares MSCI Emerging Markets ETF (EEM) Could Rise
- American Apparel Adds a Second Woman To Its Board, Will It Matter?
- 5 Things Boeing's Management Wants You to Know
- 3 Reasons BP's Stock Could Rise