Return of capital
Return of capital. The dividend payment received from certain companies is a return of capital in whole or in part rather than a share of profits. The return of capital portion of the payment is free from income tax but reduces your cost basis. Hence, you eventually pay income taxes at capital gains rates when you sell the shares.
Related Fool Articles
- [link link title]
Recent Mentions on Fool.com
- Discover Financial Services Earnings: Record Rapid Growth Continues
- 2 Things Altria Group Dividend Investors Need to Know
- 3 Crucial Questions for Align Technology, Inc.
- 2 Things Intel Corporation Dividend Investors Need to Know
- Apple, Inc. Reports a Blowout Quarter -- and Is Expecting Another One
- Is It Time to Buy Eli Lilly & Co.'s Stock?