Return of capital
Return of capital. The dividend payment received from certain companies is a return of capital in whole or in part rather than a share of profits. The return of capital portion of the payment is free from income tax but reduces your cost basis. Hence, you eventually pay income taxes at capital gains rates when you sell the shares.
Related Fool Articles
- [link link title]
Recent Mentions on Fool.com
- MLPs: Drilling Down Into BreitBurn Energy Partners L.P.?s Horizontal Strategy Shift
- Warren Buffett's Favorite Stock Screen
- 3 Reasons You Should Consider Buying This High-Yield Dividend Growth Champion Today
- 3 Reasons Pioneer Natural Resources' Stock Could Rise Again
- 4 Reasons This Company Is One of the Best High-Yield Dividend Growth Stocks You Can Buy Today
- Will Insulin Pricing Be MannKind Corporation's Downfall?