Return of capital
Return of capital. The dividend payment received from certain companies is a return of capital in whole or in part rather than a share of profits. The return of capital portion of the payment is free from income tax but reduces your cost basis. Hence, you eventually pay income taxes at capital gains rates when you sell the shares.
Related Fool Articles
- [link link title]
Recent Mentions on Fool.com
- 3 Reasons Samsung Shouldn't Buy BlackBerry Ltd.
- Ford Motor Company Earnings Preview: 3 Things Investors Must Watch
- Apple Inc. Earnings: The Numbers Investors Need to Know
- Apple, Inc. Just Obliterated All Expectations
- 5 Things Monsanto Management Wants You to Know
- Why This Big Bank Slashed Its High-Yield Dividend