Return of capital
Return of capital. The dividend payment received from certain companies is a return of capital in whole or in part rather than a share of profits. The return of capital portion of the payment is free from income tax but reduces your cost basis. Hence, you eventually pay income taxes at capital gains rates when you sell the shares.
Related Fool Articles
- [link link title]
Recent Mentions on Fool.com
- Why Baidu Inc.?s Multiyear Stock Surge Is at Risk in 2015
- Simon Property Group's Earnings: Another Earnings Beat, but a Canary in the Coal Mine
- 4 Energy Stocks I'll Be Buying If the Stock Market Crashes
- Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc.'s Earnings: Buying Its Way to the Top
- Xerox Corp Third-Quarter Earnings: Has Progress Stalled?
- Key Takeaways From GlaxoSmithKline's Third-Quarter Earnings