Return of capital
Return of capital. The dividend payment received from certain companies is a return of capital in whole or in part rather than a share of profits. The return of capital portion of the payment is free from income tax but reduces your cost basis. Hence, you eventually pay income taxes at capital gains rates when you sell the shares.
Related Fool Articles
- [link link title]
Recent Mentions on Fool.com
- Warren Buffett: 3 Ways to Protect Your Savings From a Crisis
- Why Samsung Will Not Acquire Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.
- The 3 Best Dividend Stocks Warren Buffett Owns
- 2 Restaurant Stocks to Buy, 1 to Avoid
- This Is How Bank of America Can Win Me (and You) Back
- This Burger Stock Is Overrated (Hint: It's Not Shake Shack)