Return of capital
Return of capital. The dividend payment received from certain companies is a return of capital in whole or in part rather than a share of profits. The return of capital portion of the payment is free from income tax but reduces your cost basis. Hence, you eventually pay income taxes at capital gains rates when you sell the shares.
Related Fool Articles
- [link link title]
Recent Mentions on Fool.com
- 10 Immediate Steps to Start Planning for Retirement in Your 40s
- Oil Stocks: 3 Reasons Calumet Specialty Products Partners' Dividend Is Safe for Now
- Loews Corporation Earnings Swamped by Drilling Loss
- Tesla Motors, Inc. Talks China: It Still Could Be One of Our Biggest Markets
- 3 Reasons Salesforce.com, Inc Stock Could Fall
- Is Bed Bath & Beyond a Buy?