Return of capital
Return of capital. The dividend payment received from certain companies is a return of capital in whole or in part rather than a share of profits. The return of capital portion of the payment is free from income tax but reduces your cost basis. Hence, you eventually pay income taxes at capital gains rates when you sell the shares.
Related Fool Articles
- [link link title]
Recent Mentions on Fool.com
- Here's My Argument For Investing in CF Industries
- Did Buffett Buy ExxonMobil Because It's More "Buffett" Than Berkshire?
- High-Risk Pipeline Candidates and Limited Options Make Novartis an Iffy Buy Candidate
- Why PotashCorp's Stock Plunged in 2013
- How Rite Aid Stock Soared 318% in 2013
- Sell! Warns Goldman Sachs About Annaly Capital Management and American Capital Agency