Return of capital
Return of capital. The dividend payment received from certain companies is a return of capital in whole or in part rather than a share of profits. The return of capital portion of the payment is free from income tax but reduces your cost basis. Hence, you eventually pay income taxes at capital gains rates when you sell the shares.
Related Fool Articles
- [link link title]
Recent Mentions on Fool.com
- 3 Ways General Electric Could Become Great Again
- Apple, Inc. Stock Could Deliver Big Gains in 2016. Here's Why.
- Why Republic Airways Holdings Inc. Shares Fell 26% in November
- Safe Stocks Yielding 5% (or More) Do Exist -- Here Are 5 of Them
- Meet the Consumer Goods Wizards Acquiring Keurig Green Mountain
- 5 Things Continental Resources Inc. Wants You to Know