Research and development
Research and development (R&D) is the study of ideas, methods, products, and/or compounds with the goal of improving that which a company offers.
Research and development is vital to a company to remain competitive in a changing industry.
When possible, an investor should look to a company's R&D to help evaluate future performance, particularly when evaluating a longer-term investment.
Related Fool Articles
Related Community Blogs
Recent Mentions on Fool.com
- What Is GDP? Your Jargon-Free Guide to One of the 20th Century's Greatest Inventions
- Wal-Mart Is Up 12% This Month, What's Next?
- Is J.C. Penney Inc.'s Stock a Buy?
- This High-Yield Dividend Stock Screams Danger
- Splunk, Inc. Spikes on Strong Third-Quarter Results
- The Fresh Market Earnings: Healthy Sales and Margin Pressure