Research and development
Research and development (R&D) is the study of ideas, methods, products, and/or compounds with the goal of improving that which a company offers.
Research and development is vital to a company to remain competitive in a changing industry.
When possible, an investor should look to a company's R&D to help evaluate future performance, particularly when evaluating a longer-term investment.
Related Fool Articles
Related Community Blogs
Recent Mentions on Fool.com
- The Budgeting Mistake That Can Derail Everything -- And How to Fix It
- 3 Things You Probably Didn't Know About Your Credit Score
- Warren Buffett's Best Dividend Stocks in 2015
- Gave Up on Your New Year?s Financial Resolutions? Try These Tricks Instead
- Why Kite Pharma Inc. Shares Were Clobbered
- Is the Housing Sector Doomed Once Interest Rates Start Rising?