Most insurance will repair your home or auto to its original condition, but if the insured property is totaled or stolen, the standard policy is limited to its blue book value or in the case of personal property its depreciated value. Your policy normally has a specified limit on replacement of the building on your property. Riders are available that will automatically adjust coverage for inflation or will provide replacement value coverage.
Otherwise, the insured must be careful to keep policy coverage up to date to allow for inflation.
Related Fool Articles
Recent Mentions on Fool.com
- Tragedy and Uncertainty Collide as Big Oil CEO Dies in Russian Plane Crash
- 8 Fascinating Reads
- Become Debt-Free With These Tips From the Trenches
- Could Organovo Holdings Inc. Be Running Out of Money?
- Why eBay Inc.?s Billion Dollar Investments Are So Smart
- Key Takeaways From GlaxoSmithKline's Third-Quarter Earnings