Most insurance will repair your home or auto to its original condition, but if the insured property is totaled or stolen, the standard policy is limited to its blue book value or in the case of personal property its depreciated value. Your policy normally has a specified limit on replacement of the building on your property. Riders are available that will automatically adjust coverage for inflation or will provide replacement value coverage.
Otherwise, the insured must be careful to keep policy coverage up to date to allow for inflation.
Related Fool Articles
Recent Mentions on Fool.com
- Why Omeros Corporation Stock Saw Big Gains
- Peter Thiel Exclusive: Apple Pay Could Struggle With Adoption
- Is Transocean LTD?s Fleet in Danger of Falling Apart?
- What Investors Need to Know About Amazon.com Inc's Cash Flows
- Delta Air Lines, Inc. Is Using Its Cash Wisely
- Apple Inc.?s iPad Sales Could Be Due for a Rebound