Most insurance will repair your home or auto to its original condition, but if the insured property is totaled or stolen, the standard policy is limited to its blue book value or in the case of personal property its depreciated value. Your policy normally has a specified limit on replacement of the building on your property. Riders are available that will automatically adjust coverage for inflation or will provide replacement value coverage.
Otherwise, the insured must be careful to keep policy coverage up to date to allow for inflation.
Related Fool Articles
Recent Mentions on Fool.com
- What's the Best Big Oil Stock to Buy Today?
- Apple Watch and iPhone 6 Event: 5 Can't-Miss Quotes
- Here?s Why Warren Buffett?s Favorite Stock Is Struggling
- 1 Reason Ford Motor Company's Surge in China Will Continue
- "Guardians of the Galaxy," "Maleficent," and More: The 5 Biggest Box Office Hits of Summer 2014
- 3 Value Stocks You Should Have on Your Radar