Most insurance will repair your home or auto to its original condition, but if the insured property is totaled or stolen, the standard policy is limited to its blue book value or in the case of personal property its depreciated value. Your policy normally has a specified limit on replacement of the building on your property. Riders are available that will automatically adjust coverage for inflation or will provide replacement value coverage.
Otherwise, the insured must be careful to keep policy coverage up to date to allow for inflation.
Related Fool Articles
Recent Mentions on Fool.com
- Douglas Dynamics Climbs on Strong Plow Demand, Improved Guidance
- 3 Simple Reasons Twitter Inc. Won't Bounce Back
- Social Media Swandive? What Happened With Facebook Inc, Twitter Inc and LinkedIn Corp?s Earnings
- After a Crazy Week, What's Next for Republic Airways Holdings, Inc.?
- Will Intel Corporation Buy Qualcomm, Inc.'s Chip Business?
- Does a Mortgage Refinance Make Sense?