Most insurance will repair your home or auto to its original condition, but if the insured property is totaled or stolen, the standard policy is limited to its blue book value or in the case of personal property its depreciated value. Your policy normally has a specified limit on replacement of the building on your property. Riders are available that will automatically adjust coverage for inflation or will provide replacement value coverage.
Otherwise, the insured must be careful to keep policy coverage up to date to allow for inflation.
Related Fool Articles
Recent Mentions on Fool.com
- Exclusive: Sling TV's Roger Lynch on the Future of Cable
- Which Elon Musk Stock Is the Better Buy: Tesla or SolarCity?
- Exclusive: Zillow Group Inc. Panel Talks Mobile, Acquisitions and Plans for 2015
- 2 Million Reasons to Buy Facebook Inc. Stock
- The Death of Blackjack and What Games Are Replacing It
- 25 Major Factors That Caused or Contributed to the Financial Crisis