Most insurance will repair your home or auto to its original condition, but if the insured property is totaled or stolen, the standard policy is limited to its blue book value or in the case of personal property its depreciated value. Your policy normally has a specified limit on replacement of the building on your property. Riders are available that will automatically adjust coverage for inflation or will provide replacement value coverage.
Otherwise, the insured must be careful to keep policy coverage up to date to allow for inflation.
Related Fool Articles
Recent Mentions on Fool.com
- Peculiar Habits of Incredibly Successful People
- eBay Might Finally Spin Off PayPal in 2015
- Why Climate Change Could Be the Biggest Threat to Your Portfolio
- 5 Things Herbalife Ltd.'s Management Wants You to Know
- Tesla Motors, Inc. Is Itching for More and Better Batteries
- Energy Investing 101: Identifying the Top Independent Oil & Gas Stocks