Most insurance will repair your home or auto to its original condition, but if the insured property is totaled or stolen, the standard policy is limited to its blue book value or in the case of personal property its depreciated value. Your policy normally has a specified limit on replacement of the building on your property. Riders are available that will automatically adjust coverage for inflation or will provide replacement value coverage.
Otherwise, the insured must be careful to keep policy coverage up to date to allow for inflation.
Related Fool Articles
Recent Mentions on Fool.com
- Why the 2015 Dodge Charger Is Key to Fiat Chrysler's Plan
- If Apple Ditches Gorilla Glass, Here's What Happens to Corning
- Will PACCAR Again Be Able to Ride the North American Growth Wave in Q2?
- Are These the Best 3 Energy Growth Stocks in America?
- Why There Are No Winners in the Bob Evans Power Struggle
- Dollar for Dollar: Dollar Tree to Buy Family Dollar