Most insurance will repair your home or auto to its original condition, but if the insured property is totaled or stolen, the standard policy is limited to its blue book value or in the case of personal property its depreciated value. Your policy normally has a specified limit on replacement of the building on your property. Riders are available that will automatically adjust coverage for inflation or will provide replacement value coverage.
Otherwise, the insured must be careful to keep policy coverage up to date to allow for inflation.
Related Fool Articles
Recent Mentions on Fool.com
- 5 Things Target Corporation Wants You to Know
- Real Estate Investment Opportunities for the Long Term
- Lumber Liquidators Holdings Inc Stumbles Further as CEO Abruptly Resigns
- 3 Stocks That Could Hit $1,000
- Spotify Hits Apple Inc. With a Starbucks Partnership
- Why Is This Tesla Motors Co-Founder Putting Jet Turbines on Trash Trucks?