Most insurance will repair your home or auto to its original condition, but if the insured property is totaled or stolen, the standard policy is limited to its blue book value or in the case of personal property its depreciated value. Your policy normally has a specified limit on replacement of the building on your property. Riders are available that will automatically adjust coverage for inflation or will provide replacement value coverage.
Otherwise, the insured must be careful to keep policy coverage up to date to allow for inflation.
Related Fool Articles
Recent Mentions on Fool.com
- Why Seadrill Ltd. Shares Are Getting Hammered Down 20% Today
- Seadrill Ltd. Q3 Earnings: Dividend Suspended, Misses Earnings by 50%
- Why Cisco Stock Is Still a Value
- 3 Biotech Growth Stocks You Can Buy Right Now
- The Simple Way I Search for the Next Hit Stock
- 6 Ways You Can Make a Penalty-Free 401(k) Withdrawal