Most insurance will repair your home or auto to its original condition, but if the insured property is totaled or stolen, the standard policy is limited to its blue book value or in the case of personal property its depreciated value. Your policy normally has a specified limit on replacement of the building on your property. Riders are available that will automatically adjust coverage for inflation or will provide replacement value coverage.
Otherwise, the insured must be careful to keep policy coverage up to date to allow for inflation.
Related Fool Articles
Recent Mentions on Fool.com
- Key Questions for Walt Disney Co as Subscriber Losses at ESPN Accelerate
- Better Buy Now: McDonald's or Chipotle Mexican Grill?
- 3 Unfairly Beaten-Down Energy Stocks
- National Oilwell Varco's Management Knows How, Not When, the Oil Market Will Turn
- New Nuke Contract Could Be a Blast for Orbital ATK Stock
- Don't Fall Victim to These 3 Real Estate Investing Myths