Refinance. Refinancing is the process of replacing an existing loan with a new loan.
Often the new loan is at a lower interest rate reducing the cost of the loan.
Typically one refinances by filling out an application for a new loan. The borrowed funds are then used to pay off the old loan. But note that some loans charge extra fees for prepayment of the loan. These charges can make refinancing more costly than expected.
Related Fool Articles
Recent Mentions on Fool.com
- German Soccer Can Teach You About Retirement Planning
- Why Shares of Omega Protein Skyrocketed
- Peabody Energy Remains the Safest Bet on a Coal Revival
- Are These 3 Refiners Doomed?
- Northern Tier Energy Might Not Be the Only Refiner Hurting This Quarter
- Industry Vows to Fight U.S. City?s Ban on Canadian Oil Sands