Refinance. Refinancing is the process of replacing an existing loan with a new loan.
Often the new loan is at a lower interest rate reducing the cost of the loan.
Typically one refinances by filling out an application for a new loan. The borrowed funds are then used to pay off the old loan. But note that some loans charge extra fees for prepayment of the loan. These charges can make refinancing more costly than expected.
Related Fool Articles
Recent Mentions on Fool.com
- 5 Key Comments From HollyFrontier's Management You Should Know
- Delta's Refinery Bet Is Finally Paying Off
- We May Have Just Hit Peak Hysteria for Shares of Chevron
- 5 Things Magellan Midstream Partners' CEO Wants You to Know
- The 3 Worst-Performing Dow Stocks in August
- 3 Essential Money Lessons You Need to Know by Age 50