Refinance. Refinancing is the process of replacing an existing loan with a new loan.
Often the new loan is at a lower interest rate reducing the cost of the loan.
Typically one refinances by filling out an application for a new loan. The borrowed funds are then used to pay off the old loan. But note that some loans charge extra fees for prepayment of the loan. These charges can make refinancing more costly than expected.
Related Fool Articles
Recent Mentions on Fool.com
- 5 Steps to Winning the Refinance Race
- Did Ford Motor Company Mess Up the New Mustang?
- Integrated Oil & Gas Isn't Really That Integrated Anymore
- How Safe Is Calumet Specialty Products Partners' Sky-High Yield?
- Warren Buffett Just Dumped These Energy Stocks, But Here's Why You Shouldn't
- Samsung and LG Just Upped the Ante in the Smartwatch War