Refinance. Refinancing is the process of replacing an existing loan with a new loan.
Often the new loan is at a lower interest rate reducing the cost of the loan.
Typically one refinances by filling out an application for a new loan. The borrowed funds are then used to pay off the old loan. But note that some loans charge extra fees for prepayment of the loan. These charges can make refinancing more costly than expected.
Related Fool Articles
Recent Mentions on Fool.com
- Another Quarter of Low Oil Prices, Another Less Than Stellar Quarter for BP plc
- 2 Questions for Total SA When It Reports Earnings
- Is Google, Inc.'s New Phone-Tracking Feature a Big Mistake?
- 3 Reasons Why Gas Prices Differ By State
- Why Magellan Midstream Partners? Stock Has Held Up During the Oil Crash
- Here's How to Play Low Oil Prices