Refinance. Refinancing is the process of replacing an existing loan with a new loan.
Often the new loan is at a lower interest rate reducing the cost of the loan.
Typically one refinances by filling out an application for a new loan. The borrowed funds are then used to pay off the old loan. But note that some loans charge extra fees for prepayment of the loan. These charges can make refinancing more costly than expected.
Related Fool Articles
Recent Mentions on Fool.com
- Foreign Stocks: Balance Your Portfolio and Profit From Global Growth
- Now Is the Time to Buy This Fast Growing Refiner
- Why Magellan Midstream Partners May Belong in Your Portfolio
- Is This Really the iPhone 6?
- How Downspacing Is Giving the Bakken Boom Longer Legs
- Will Apple and Google Join the Tech Free Fall?