Refinance. Refinancing is the process of replacing an existing loan with a new loan.
Often the new loan is at a lower interest rate reducing the cost of the loan.
Typically one refinances by filling out an application for a new loan. The borrowed funds are then used to pay off the old loan. But note that some loans charge extra fees for prepayment of the loan. These charges can make refinancing more costly than expected.
Related Fool Articles
Recent Mentions on Fool.com
- Ford Burns Rubber in China, While Select Medical and Chevron Shareholders Cash In
- Shorts Are Piling Into These Stocks. Should You Be Worried?
- Why Alon USA Energy Inc. Shares Popped
- Why Walter Energy Inc. Shares Stumbled
- What Would Lifting the Crude Oil Export Ban Mean for Producers?
- Yes, TransCanada Can Survive Without Keystone XL