Research and development
Research and development (R&D) is the study of ideas, methods, products, and/or compounds with the goal of improving that which a company offers.
Research and development is vital to a company to remain competitive in a changing industry.
When possible, an investor should look to a company's R&D to help evaluate future performance, particularly when evaluating a longer-term investment.
Related Fool Articles
Related Community Blogs
Recent Mentions on Fool.com
- Can Coca-Cola's Compete With Silicon Valley's Food Movement?
- One Overlooked Apple Inc. Technology Investors Should Pay Attention To
- 3 Major Tech Trends Coming in 2015
- Stratasys, Ltd. Executive Sheds Light on the Company's New 3D Printers and More
- Why Invensense Inc. Stock Tanked 26% in 2014
- Can You Guess the Best-Performing Biotech IPO of 2014? (Hint: Shares Rallied 217%)