A pyramid scheme is an illegal venture relying on a continual recruiting of new investors to pay returns to investors who got in earlier.
The people at or near the top of a pyramid scheme make money, while those lower down could end up getting nothing (after losing their initial investment), as it eventually becomes impossible to recruit more people willing to ante up.
Related Fool Articles
- A Glorified Confidence Game?
- Ponzi Schemes Explode
- Making Peace With Ponzi
- Is Your 401(k) a Ponzi Scheme?
- Avoiding the Next $50 Billion Ponzi Scheme
Recent Mentions on Fool.com
- 5 Ways Millionaires Like Jordan Belfort Lost Fortunes
- Why Herbalife Ltd. Stock Popped (Again) on Friday
- Why Shares of Herbalife Ltd. Are Up on Wednesday
- Did Bill Ackman, One the World's Best Hedge Fund Managers, Manipulate Herbalife's Stock?
- Why Herbalife Ltd. Stock SkyrocketedToday
- These 3 Stocks Have Seen Their Shadows. Expect Rough Times Ahead