A pyramid scheme is an illegal venture relying on a continual recruiting of new investors to pay returns to investors who got in earlier.
The people at or near the top of a pyramid scheme make money, while those lower down could end up getting nothing (after losing their initial investment), as it eventually becomes impossible to recruit more people willing to ante up.
Related Fool Articles
- A Glorified Confidence Game?
- Ponzi Schemes Explode
- Making Peace With Ponzi
- Is Your 401(k) a Ponzi Scheme?
- Avoiding the Next $50 Billion Ponzi Scheme
Recent Mentions on Fool.com
- Nu Skin Tumbles on China Woes, but Vipshop Soars After Hours
- Why Nu Skin Enterprises, Harsco, and QIWI Tumbled Today
- Why Shares of Nu Skin Enterprises, Inc. Dropped
- Are You Missing These Under-the-Radar Dividend Growth Stocks?
- Herbalife: The Record-Setting Year in Review
- 3 Key Takeaways From Herbalife's Mixed Week