A pyramid scheme is an illegal venture relying on a continual recruiting of new investors to pay returns to investors who got in earlier.
The people at or near the top of a pyramid scheme make money, while those lower down could end up getting nothing (after losing their initial investment), as it eventually becomes impossible to recruit more people willing to ante up.
Related Fool Articles
- A Glorified Confidence Game?
- Ponzi Schemes Explode
- Making Peace With Ponzi
- Is Your 401(k) a Ponzi Scheme?
- Avoiding the Next $50 Billion Ponzi Scheme
Recent Mentions on Fool.com
- How to Make Money From Home: 7 Ways That Aren't Scams
- This State Senator Just Called Herbalife Ltd. a Pyramid Scheme
- The FTC Shut Down Vemma for Being a Pyramid Scheme -- Could Herbalife Ltd. Be Next?
- Here's What Bill Ackman Has Been Buying and Selling
- The Problem With Socially Responsible Investing
- Bill Ackman's Pershing Square is Betting Big on These 4 Companies