A Pharmaceutical or drug is a material manufactured or processed for use as a medicine. Most pharmaceuticals are supplied by companies we call drug companies. This family includes majors like Pfizer, Merck, Eli Lilly, Wyeth, Abbott, and Johnson & Johnson. However, these companies note their major purpose is usually drug discovery and marketing. They develop suitable materials based on scientific research often by others, take them through the very extensive testing required for FDA approvals, and finally teach physicians when and how to use them.
Recent Mentions on Fool.com
- Yelp, Inc. Tumbles After Another Impressive Quarter
- 4 Energy Stocks I'll Be Buying If the Stock Market Crashes
- 3 Solid Stocks With Decades of Annual Dividend Increases
- Why Time Warner Cable's Share Buybacks Are So Smart
- 4 Things to Watch as Yandex NV Looks to Calm Fears About Hard Times in Russia
- The 1 Thing Successful Investors Never Do