A Pharmaceutical or drug is a material manufactured or processed for use as a medicine. Most pharmaceuticals are supplied by companies we call drug companies. This family includes majors like Pfizer, Merck, Eli Lilly, Wyeth, Abbott, and Johnson & Johnson. However, these companies note their major purpose is usually drug discovery and marketing. They develop suitable materials based on scientific research often by others, take them through the very extensive testing required for FDA approvals, and finally teach physicians when and how to use them.
Recent Mentions on Fool.com
- Don't Be Fooled -- Falling Oil Prices Are Good For Stocks
- Facebook Inc (FB) Is Getting Serious About This $56 Billion Market
- The Top 3 Telecom Stocks to Buy for 2015
- Is Now the Time to Buy Kinder Morgan and These 3 High-Yield Oil Investments?
- The Best Healthcare Stocks of 2014: Which Is Our Favorite for 2015?
- The Shocking Sector That Nearly Quadrupled the S&P 500's Return in 2014