Payroll tax is the tax paid by the employer on the salary and wages paid to employees. It includes withholding taxes deducted from the worker's paycheck as well as taxes paid by the employer: employers portion of Social Security and Medicare, federal and state unemployment tax, and in many states workers compensation.
Related Fool Articles
Recent Mentions on Fool.com
- Hide Your Wallet! This is How Much the Average American Pays in Taxes
- Baby Boomers' Social Security Woes Summed Up in 1 Chart
- Social Security: 3 Lessons America Learned From the File-and-Suspend Fiasco
- Colorado Might Rewrite the Rules of Healthcare in 2016
- Did You Miss These Top Stories in Healthcare?
- 5 Smart Money Moves to Make Before the Holidays