Payroll tax is the tax paid by the employer on the salary and wages paid to employees. It includes withholding taxes deducted from the worker's paycheck as well as taxes paid by the employer: employers portion of Social Security and Medicare, federal and state unemployment tax, and in many states workers compensation.
Related Fool Articles
Recent Mentions on Fool.com
- 3 Surprising Beneficiaries of a Minimum Wage Boost
- Social Security Default: Does the Risk Justify Taking Benefits Earlier?
- Self-Employed Taxes: How Much You'll Owe and How You Can Pay Less
- W4 Allowances: What it Means, and How You Should Use Them
- Social Security Tax: The 2 Ways You Pay
- HSA vs. FSA: Which Is Right for You?