Payroll tax is the tax paid by the employer on the salary and wages paid to employees. It includes withholding taxes deducted from the worker's paycheck as well as taxes paid by the employer: employers portion of Social Security and Medicare, federal and state unemployment tax, and in many states workers compensation.
Related Fool Articles
Recent Mentions on Fool.com
- Tax Season Is Over, But the Typical American Is Still Working for Uncle Sam
- Why Social Security Reform Will Never Happen (And Why That Shouldn't Worry You)
- What Is Medicare? And What Does It Mean to Me?
- Shopping for a Home? Here's What You'll Need to Get a Mortgage
- This Social Security Tax Makes No Sense Whatsoever
- Will the Social Security System Go Broke in the Next 20 Years?