Palladium is a platinum group metal along with platinum, iridium, rhodium, ruthenium, and osmium. About half the demand for palladium is for use in automobile catalytic converters. It's also used in many electronic devices, jewelry, and dentistry.
According to 2006 numbers from the International Platinum Group Metals Association, Russia is home to about half the world's supply of palladium, with South Africa at 36 percent and North America at 12 percent.
Related Fool Articles
- Stillwater Mining Co. (NYSE: SWC)
- North American Palladium (NYSE: PAL)
- ETFS Palladium Shares (NYSE: PALL)
Recent Mentions on Fool.com
- Buy These Stocks to Profit From Latest Sanctions on Russia
- How Stillwater Mining, Constellation Brands, and Gilead Sciences Set New Highs Today
- Is This Palladium Producer a Buy?
- 1 Industry Supplier Thinks Coal Will Survive Green Rules
- The Best Investment Opportunity in Precious Metals: Palladium Stocks
- Gold Soars on Iraq Worries; Possible Labor Agreement Sends Platinum, Palladium Plunging