Organic growth comes from a company's existing business, as opposed to growth powered by acquisitions.
It's important to know whether growth is organic -- an increase management was able to get from its existing business -- or the result of something like a one-time acquisition.
Organic chemicals are compounds composed of chemically combined carbon. That includes most animal and vegetable products as well a most plastics and many synthetic chemicals. The rest are inorganic chemicals, i.e., those not composed of carbon, which usually means materials of mineral origins (other than oil, coal, or natural gas).
Organic gardening refers to produce raised without the use of pesticides and sometimes chemical fertilizers.
Recent Mentions on Fool.com
- Are U.S. Biofuel Targets Putting Your Car's Engine at Risk?
- 401k Limits in 2014: How Much Should You Contribute?
- What Altria Shareholders Need to Know for September
- 3 Reasons to Remain Skeptical About IBM's Cloud Performance
- FedEx Earnings Rise on Higher Revenue and Operating Margin
- Yum! Brands, Philip Morris and Royal Caribbean Raised Their Dividends: What You Need to Know