Organic growth comes from a company's existing business, as opposed to growth powered by acquisitions.
It's important to know whether growth is organic -- an increase management was able to get from its existing business -- or the result of something like a one-time acquisition.
Organic chemicals are compounds composed of chemically combined carbon. That includes most animal and vegetable products as well a most plastics and many synthetic chemicals. The rest are inorganic chemicals, i.e., those not composed of carbon, which usually means materials of mineral origins (other than oil, coal, or natural gas).
Organic gardening refers to produce raised without the use of pesticides and sometimes chemical fertilizers.
Recent Mentions on Fool.com
- High Yield Stocks for Dividend Investing: Calumet Specialty Products Partners, L.P.
- The Best Stocks for Organic Food Lovers
- The Container Store Stock Down 50%: Buying Opportunity or Time to Run?
- Stocks to Buy: Kids Edition
- High Yield Stocks for Dividend Investing: BreitBurn Energy Partners L.P.
- Sears Holdings Bid to Sell Canadian Operations Fails