Occidental Chemical Corporation (OxyChem) is a leading North American manufacturer of polyvinyl chloride (PVC) resins, chlorine and caustic soda – key building blocks for a variety of indispensable products such as plastics, pharmaceuticals and water treatment chemicals. Other OxyChem products include caustic potash, chlorinated organics, sodium silicates, chlorinated isocyanurates and calcium chloride. For every product it markets in the U.S., OxyChem’s market position is No. 1 or No. 2. Based in Dallas, Texas, the company has manufacturing facilities in the United States, Canada and Latin America.
Occidental also has a chemical division best known as the owner of Hooker Chemical Co., which became associated with the Love Canal incident. Hooker was an early producer of chlor-alkali. According to C&EN Occidental now ranks second behind Dow Chemical in that business.
For more about Hooker, see “Salt & Water, Power & People: A Short History of Hooker Electrochemical Co.,” by Robert E. Thomas, Hooker Chemical Co., Niagara Falls, NY, 1955. It is reviewed on Motley Fool's Books Non-fiction board here: http://boards.fool.com/hooker-chemical-company-29250894.aspx
Recent Mentions on Fool.com
- Why Jabil Circuit, Occidental Petroleum, and International Game Technology Are Today?s 3 Worst Stock
- Should Investors Buy the Occidental Spinoff?
- A Major Turnaround Is Under Way at This Oil Company
- Occidental Petroleum to Spin Off California Business
- NuStar Energy Signs NGL Transport Deal With Occidental Petroleum