The mortgage service company is the one who receives your payments, and credits them to your account. They are the ones who answer any quesitions that come up. If you make additional payments on your mortgage, they are the ones who decide where to credit that money and whether the payment goes into the escrow account or against your principle. If you prepay the loan, they are also the ones who determine if a penalty is due.
Estabishing a working relationship with your mortgage servicing company is good practice. Good communications can help resolve the issues if a problem arises. If you have a problem, call them sooner rather than avoiding them.
Related Fool Articles
Related Community Blogs
Recent Mentions on Fool.com
- 5 Great Ways to Spend Your Income Tax Refund
- Warren Buffett's Berkshire Hathaway Stock: What You Are Buying
- What Kind of Insurance Do Drivers Like Me Buy?
- 4 Winners in the Big Bank of America Corp. Settlement
- Why This Consumer Spending Trend Is Worrisome
- 3 Reasons iShares MSCI Brazil Index ETF (EWZ) Shares Could Fall