The mortgage service company is the one who receives your payments, and credits them to your account. They are the ones who answer any quesitions that come up. If you make additional payments on your mortgage, they are the ones who decide where to credit that money and whether the payment goes into the escrow account or against your principle. If you prepay the loan, they are also the ones who determine if a penalty is due.
Estabishing a working relationship with your mortgage servicing company is good practice. Good communications can help resolve the issues if a problem arises. If you have a problem, call them sooner rather than avoiding them.
Related Fool Articles
Related Community Blogs
Recent Mentions on Fool.com
- How the Child Tax Credit Can Help You
- The Easiest Way to Cut 5 Years Off Your Mortgage
- Retirement Investing: Could This Be The Safest 8% Return You?ll Ever Find?
- A Simple Truth About Banks: Over the Long Run, Most Don't Make Money
- Here?s What Happens When Bankers Are Tested for Honesty (You Won?t Be Disappointed)
- Why Investors Should Consider New Residential Investment Corp.'s Huge Dividend Yield