In days gone by, you went to a savings and association in your area for a mortgage loan. They did the whole job including the application, collecting payments, and maintaining records. That mom and pop shop approach to mortgages has given way to an industry, where major player specialize in part of the process. Originators receive and process the applications. They sell the application to others who may bundle it and resell to the ultimate lender. That lender need not be the firm that services your mortgage. The lender may very well hire a mortgage service company to provide that service.
Related Fool Articles
Recent Mentions on Fool.com
- 3 Things to Know if You Need to File a Tax Extension
- Does a Reverse Mortgage Make Sense for You?
- Chile Supreme Court Sides With Barrick Gold, But Is It Too Little Too Late?
- The Single Most Important Number for Choosing a Bank Stock
- The Savvy Buyer's Guide to Winning Deals in a Seller's Market
- Read This Before Applying for a Mortgage