Market share is 100 x sales of the company/total sales in the category expressed as a percentage.
A company with higher market share, i.e. a market leader, can have lower cost and can more easily defend market share. Competitors cannot duplicate the advantage because their plants cannot be as large without gaining market share.
Related Fool Articles
- [link link title]
Recent Mentions on Fool.com
- Danger Lurking for El Paso Pipeline Partners L.P.'s Dividend?
- Danger at 3D Systems Corporation: Employees Might Hate Their Jobs
- 17 Expert Ways to Save Money Every Day
- The Las Vegas Game You Should Avoid At All Costs
- Warren Buffett's Secret Weapon for a Market Calamity
- How Donald Trump Became an American Billionaire Icon