Market share is 100 x sales of the company/total sales in the category expressed as a percentage.
A company with higher market share, i.e. a market leader, can have lower cost and can more easily defend market share. Competitors cannot duplicate the advantage because their plants cannot be as large without gaining market share.
Related Fool Articles
- [link link title]
Recent Mentions on Fool.com
- 4 Energy Stocks I'll Be Buying If the Stock Market Crashes
- 3 Solid Stocks With Decades of Annual Dividend Increases
- Why Time Warner Cable's Share Buybacks Are So Smart
- 4 Things to Watch as Yandex NV Looks to Calm Fears About Hard Times in Russia
- The 1 Thing Successful Investors Never Do
- Safeway vs. Kroger: Which Grocer is the Better Buy?