Market share is 100 x sales of the company/total sales in the category expressed as a percentage.
A company with higher market share, i.e. a market leader, can have lower cost and can more easily defend market share. Competitors cannot duplicate the advantage because their plants cannot be as large without gaining market share.
Related Fool Articles
- [link link title]
Recent Mentions on Fool.com
- Retiring Soon? Don't Cash Out of the Stock Market Yet
- 5 Secrets to Increasing the Profit of Your Rental
- Can This Advertising Innovation at "The New York Times" Save Sinking Ad Revenue?
- Retirement Planning: Why Just About Everyone Should Have 3 Income Streams
- Tibco Software, Inc. Stock Falls On Disappointing Results
- Activision?s ?Destiny? and the Business of Video Game Hype