Loss, as it relates to finance or investing, is the opposite of profit.
- In finance: Loss results when the cost of goods and/or services produced exceeds the income generated by their sale.
- In regard to investment: Loss is the result when the sale of a security produces less money returned to the seller than the seller originally paid to purchase the security.
Related Fool Articles
Related Community Blogs
Recent Mentions on Fool.com
- S&P 500 Adds Facebook, and Budget News Sinks the Dow
- Big Lots Setting Up for Long-Term Success
- Cold Temps Mean Natural Gas Prices Are Heating Up
- 1 Trait General Motors Now Possesses That Will Keep It From Another Bankruptcy
- What Do Ascena Retail Group's Results Mean for Retail?
- Volcker Rule Leaves Opening for More Bank Regulations