International Flavors & Fragrances
International Flavors & Fragrances (NYSE: IFF) IFF is a leading manufacturer of flavors and fragrances widely used in a variety of consumer products.
Unique flavors and fragrances are often a key competitive advantage of numerous consumer products. (Recall the secrecy surrounding the Coca-Cola formula.) Hence, this is a highly secretive business requiring close work with clients. The ingredients used can be natural or synthetic. Combining them in unique ways is a major expertise.
Yahoo lists competitors as Firmenich SA (Plainsboro, NJ), Givaudan SA, and Symrise AG, all privately held. Polak's Fruital Works (division of Hercules), Creations Aromatique, and Mallinckrodt have also been players.
Givaudan is traded on the Swiss Exchange, ticker, GIVN. They claim 20 to 25% market share.
Recent Mentions on Fool.com
- Is This Common Item in Your Fridge Contributing to 180,000 Deaths Annually?
- Attention, Solazyme Investors: Don't Forget About Amyris
- Why International Flavors & Fragrances Inc Smells Good in 2014
- Coming Soon: International Flavors & Fragrances Earnings
- What International Flavors & Fragrances's Earnings Headlines Didn't Tell You