Special rules apply to an inherited IRA. A tax deduction is not allowed for contributions to this IRA, a rollover to or from another IRA owned by the heir is not permitted, and the proceeds must be distributed and taxed within a specific period as established by the Internal Revenue Code.
Related Fool Articles
Related Community Blogs
Recent Mentions on Fool.com
- Here?s How to Make Your Kids or Grandkids Wealthy
- Thinking of Gifting an Inheritance to Your Grandchildren? Keep These 3 Things in Mind
- How to Become a Millionaire, With a Roth IRA
- This May Be Your Last Chance for a Comfortable Retirement
- What Happens to Your Retirement Money When You Die?
- 3 Critical IRA Mistakes to Avoid