What is Foolsaurus?

It's a glossary of investing terms edited and maintained by our analysts, writers and YOU, our Foolish community.

How to Tell if a Savings Bond Is Fully Mature?

Original post by Karen Farnen of Demand Media

Bonds stop earning interest at final maturity.

The U.S. Treasury recommends cashing all savings bonds that have reached final maturity because that is when they stop earning interest. However, the Treasury has extended original maturity dates from 10 to 30 years, making it harder to know when final maturity occurs. Additionally, different issues and series have different earning lifetimes. However, the Treasury supplies a number of guidelines and tools to facilitate your calculation of the final maturity date.

Step 1

Collect all series A, B, C, D, F, G, J and K paper bonds. These old bonds have all reached final maturity and have stopped earning interest.

Step 2

Set aside all series E and H bonds. They have reached final maturity.

Step 3

Examine the issue date on the paper HH bonds. Add 20 years to the issue date to determine the date of final maturity.

Step 4

Check the issue date of the paper EE bonds. Add 30 years to the issue date to determine the final maturity for the EE bonds.

Step 5

Check the issue date of the paper I bonds. The final maturity of the I bonds is 30 years from the date of issue.

Step 6

Log onto your Treasury Direct account to find the final maturity date of your electronic EE and I bonds. Enter your secure password to access complete information on your electronic portfolio, including maturity date and interest earnings.

Step 7

Search online with Treasury Hunt to locate any other bonds in your name that have matured and stopped earning interest. Enter your employee identification number or Social Security number in the box at the Treasury Hunt Request website to begin your search.


Tips & Warnings

  • Verify the final maturity date, interest and total value of your paper EE, I and E bonds online with the savings bond calculator at Treasury Direct. (See Resource 5.)

Things Needed

  • Paper savings bonds
  • Employee identification number or Social Security number



About the Author

Karen Farnen has been writing online since 2009. She has taught piano and English as a second language. Farnen has a Bachelor of Arts in French with a music minor from the University of Pittsburgh and a Master of Science in education and a Master of Arts in French from California State University-Fullerton.

Photo Credits

  • Comstock/Comstock/Getty Images