What is Foolsaurus?

It's a glossary of investing terms edited and maintained by our analysts, writers and YOU, our Foolish community.

How to Roll a TSP Into a 401(k) After Military Service

Original post by Susan Reynolds of Demand Media

Every member of the military gets a Thrift Savings Plan (TSP) account, which funds retirement. The fees are generally low, but there are some restrictions on investments. People who work for the U.S. government also get access to the TSP. When you are discharged from the military, you have the option of rolling over your TSP account into a civilian 401k plan.

Step 1

Go to your employer's human resources office to fill out the application to start your 401k. Find out if your company's plan accepts transfers from TSPs.

Step 2

Fill out the Form TSP-70 Request for a Full Withdrawal (see Resources). Make sure you fill out the "Transfer Option" portion.

Step 3

Bring the form to your new employer's HR department and ask a representative to fill out the "VI" section of the form. The person will write in your 401k account number and sign it. The office employees will contact your TSP account to roll over the funds directly into your 401k.

Step 4

Check after a few weeks to make sure your TSP money has landed in your 401k account.


Tips & Warnings



About the Author

Since completing her English degree in 2006 from the University of South Florida, Susan Reynolds has worked in real estate and higher education. She published her first article online in 2008. She now writes articles for many different websites and also writes marketing articles for various businesses in her hometown.