The housing starts number tells us how many houses, condos, and apartments we started building last month. This number is a leading indicator of the economy as a whole, because it's highly sensitive to things like consumer confidence and mortgage rates.
Recent Mentions on Fool.com
- 6 Money Lies We All Believe
- General Electric Used to Be Bigger Than Apple -- What Happened?
- 15 Wise Moves to Make With Your Enormous Tax Refund
- Become a Real Estate Millionaire Without Actually Owning Property
- 3 Oft-Ignored Risks to the U.S. Economy
- 3 Money Mistakes in Your 40s That Could Derail Your Retirement