The housing starts number tells us how many houses, condos, and apartments we started building last month. This number is a leading indicator of the economy as a whole, because it's highly sensitive to things like consumer confidence and mortgage rates.
Recent Mentions on Fool.com
- Mortgage Interest Rates: Why You Get Offered the Worst Ones
- Why Two Harbors Investment Corp Isn't Scared of Higher Interest Rates
- Why Basic-Needs Stocks Are Vital to Your Portfolio
- Is Another Financial Crisis Coming Down the Road?
- The Mortgage Market's Next Opportunity
- Solving the Homebuyer's Condo-or-House Dilemma