The housing starts number tells us how many houses, condos, and apartments we started building last month. This number is a leading indicator of the economy as a whole, because it's highly sensitive to things like consumer confidence and mortgage rates.
Recent Mentions on Fool.com
- Why JPMorgan Chase & Co. Stock Is Flat This Year
- The New World Order of Banking: Boring and Less Profitable
- Colony Financial Inc.: Is It Time to Buy This Dividend Stock?
- 3 Reasons to Consider the Huge Dividend Yield at Two Harbors Investment Corp.
- Hartford Financial Services Group Inc.'s Q3 2014 Earnings: 4 Key Takeaways
- What CYS Investments Inc.'s Earnings Say About Annaly Capital Management