A hostile takeover is when one company tries to purchase another company against the approval of the acquiree's board of directors.
The entity making the hostile takeover offer is sometimes called a corporate raider.
Companies have been known to make payments, called greenmail, to make a corporate raider go away.
Related Fool Articles
Related Community Blogs
Recent Mentions on Fool.com
- Gold Wars: Yamana and Agnico Eagle Deal Serious Blow to Goldcorp?s Hostile Takeover Attempt
- Fool's Gold Report: Precious Metals Fall as Goldcorp Surrenders Osisko to Yamana Gold, Agnico Eagle
- Aaron's Uses Acquisition to Thwart Takeover
- Why Osisko Shareholders Might Favor the New Deal
- Goldcorp Inc Raises Offer for Osisko
- Why Aspen Insurance Holdings Limited Shares Rocketed Higher