A holding company owns the securities of another firm. It usually maintains voting control of the company, as well.
The holding company may be a conglomerate with subsidiary companies in a variety of industries. The subsidiaries may be wholely owned, or may be public companies with the holding company owning only a portion of the shares.
Compare: operating company
Related Fool Articles
Related Community Blogs
Recent Mentions on Fool.com
- Defense Industry: Investing Essentials
- Hertz Global Holdings Shares Drop After Guidance Withdrawn
- 3 Reasons Why HCA Holdings Inc Stock Could Rise
- 3 Reasons Gilead Science, Inc.?s Stock Could Rise
- The End of a Rocky Era: Steve Ballmer Leaves Microsoft Corporation's Boardroom
- 3 Reasons Occidental Petroleum Stock Could Fall