A prospectus is a legal document that provides information about a potential investment, including discussions of its investment objectives, policies, past performance, risks, and cost.
Prospectuses are filed with the Securities and Exchange Commission as Form 424B3, which makes them public documents available to everyone. Companies also file supplements to their prospectuses. The documents should also be available from the company.
Recent Mentions on Fool.com
- Growth Investors Need to Put This IPO on Their Watchlist
- Dear Shake Shack: I Knew Chipotle, and You?re No Chipotle
- Investors Give Blue Buffalo a Vote of Confidence in IPO
- Fitbit Sees These Trends Sparking Sales of Wearable Fitness Trackers
- 3 Smart Ways to Take Advantage of the Alternative Energy Boom
- Stock Watch: 1 Big Reason to Track TransUnion's IPO