The Fortune 500 is a ranked list of America's largest corporations compiled annually by Fortune magazine.
Fortune bases its rankings on revenue, with ExxonMobil topping the 2009 list with $442 billion in revenue. No. 500 is Legg Mason, with $4.6 billion in revenue. Fortune does many lists, including: best companies to work for, fastest growers, top industries.
Being on the Fortune 500 isn't so much a seal of quality, as a seal of size, although companies that got that large obviously know what they're doing.
Related Fool Articles
- Fortune magazine
Recent Mentions on Fool.com
- Warren Buffett's Berkshire Hathaway Stock: What You Are Buying
- American Apparel Adds a Second Woman To Its Board, Will It Matter?
- 3 Reasons Adobe Systems Incorporated's Stock Could Rise
- How HP Could Help Google Take on Apple in Enterprise Mobility
- 4 Things Apple, Inc.'s Tim Cook Wants You to Know
- Is This Apple?s Next $10 Billion Business?