The Fortune 500 is a ranked list of America's largest corporations compiled annually by Fortune magazine.
Fortune bases its rankings on revenue, with ExxonMobil topping the 2009 list with $442 billion in revenue. No. 500 is Legg Mason, with $4.6 billion in revenue. Fortune does many lists, including: best companies to work for, fastest growers, top industries.
Being on the Fortune 500 isn't so much a seal of quality, as a seal of size, although companies that got that large obviously know what they're doing.
Related Fool Articles
- Fortune magazine
Recent Mentions on Fool.com
- How Hedge Fund Manager Paul Singer Made His Billions
- TechBUZZ: RelishMBA Brings Grad Students and Employers Together
- PayPal Officially Splits From eBay -- Which Standalone Company Is Right for Your Portfolio?
- The Largest American Companies You Haven't Heard Of
- The 10 Biggest ?American Companies
- 8 Charts to Celebrate the iPhone's 8th Birthday