The Fortune 500 is a ranked list of America's largest corporations compiled annually by Fortune magazine.
Fortune bases its rankings on revenue, with ExxonMobil topping the 2009 list with $442 billion in revenue. No. 500 is Legg Mason, with $4.6 billion in revenue. Fortune does many lists, including: best companies to work for, fastest growers, top industries.
Being on the Fortune 500 isn't so much a seal of quality, as a seal of size, although companies that got that large obviously know what they're doing.
Related Fool Articles
- Fortune magazine
Recent Mentions on Fool.com
- 3 Reasons Workday Inc.'s Stock Could Rise
- 6 Common Application and Screening Mistakes Property Managers Make
- The Surprising Way Wal-Mart Is Copying Costco
- Bose vs. Apple's Beats: The NFL Tests Its Limits
- With Shares Down 31% In 2014, Is it Time to Buy FireEye Inc?
- The Future Realignment of Berkshire Hathaway Will Be an Investors? Bonanza