The Fortune 500 is a ranked list of America's largest corporations compiled annually by Fortune magazine.
Fortune bases its rankings on revenue, with ExxonMobil topping the 2009 list with $442 billion in revenue. No. 500 is Legg Mason, with $4.6 billion in revenue. Fortune does many lists, including: best companies to work for, fastest growers, top industries.
Being on the Fortune 500 isn't so much a seal of quality, as a seal of size, although companies that got that large obviously know what they're doing.
Related Fool Articles
- Fortune magazine
Recent Mentions on Fool.com
- The Upside of Being Miserable
- 2 Fun Facts About Apple Inc. and Its Revenue Growth This Quarter
- How 3 Fools Would Fix the Income Tax System
- Apple Inc. Earnings: Far From Spooky
- Microsoft Corporation Begins Sales of Surface Book and Surface Pro 4
- 5 Things Advanced Micro Devices Inc.'s Management Wants You to Know