The Fortune 500 is a ranked list of America's largest corporations compiled annually by Fortune magazine.
Fortune bases its rankings on revenue, with ExxonMobil topping the 2009 list with $442 billion in revenue. No. 500 is Legg Mason, with $4.6 billion in revenue. Fortune does many lists, including: best companies to work for, fastest growers, top industries.
Being on the Fortune 500 isn't so much a seal of quality, as a seal of size, although companies that got that large obviously know what they're doing.
Related Fool Articles
- Fortune magazine
Recent Mentions on Fool.com
- Can $20 Million Solve Whole Foods? Problem?
- 10 Surprising Things You Didn't Know About Las Vegas
- 5 Things Apple?s Management Wants You to Know
- How Investors Succeed: 3 Crucial Insights From Education Experts
- What Warren Buffett Learned From the New York Yankees
- Fortune 500: The Gold Standard of American Business Success?