A first mover is a company that gains an advantageous position by being the first to establish itself in a given market.
Companies that move first revolutionize their industries and the lives of customers by featuring products or services that reflect a new solution to old problems. These companies often hit the public markets fairly early with high valuations and high expectations that scare off most investors. But first-movers have an advantage in visionary leaders and founders who saw through the problem in the first place and moved first to create their dynamic solutions.
Recent Mentions on Fool.com
- The Dangers of Investing in China
- Build or Conquer? 3 Companies Battling Over the Future of Biofuels
- Forget Starbucks Corporation, This is America?s Biggest Coffee Seller
- 3D Systems Corporation Earnings: Mediocre With Negative Undertones
- Hewlett-Packard Company's 3D Printer: What the Competition and Experts Think
- How 1 Bank Turned $234 Million Into $2.3 Trillion in Just 51 Years