A first mover is a company that gains an advantageous position by being the first to establish itself in a given market.
Companies that move first revolutionize their industries and the lives of customers by featuring products or services that reflect a new solution to old problems. These companies often hit the public markets fairly early with high valuations and high expectations that scare off most investors. But first-movers have an advantage in visionary leaders and founders who saw through the problem in the first place and moved first to create their dynamic solutions.
Recent Mentions on Fool.com
- Netflix Inc. Hits a New All-Time High: Is It Worth $56 Billion?
- Why Did Apple Inc. Buy This "Star Wars"-Related Company?
- Why Pandora Media Is Spending $75 Million on a Bankrupt Company
- Better Buy: Vipshop Holdings Ltd. or E-Commerce China Dangdang Inc?
- Gilead Sciences Inc. Has Plenty of Room to Run in Hepatitis C
- Better Contrarian Buy: Yelp Inc. or Groupon Inc?