A first mover is a company that gains an advantageous position by being the first to establish itself in a given market.
Companies that move first revolutionize their industries and the lives of customers by featuring products or services that reflect a new solution to old problems. These companies often hit the public markets fairly early with high valuations and high expectations that scare off most investors. But first-movers have an advantage in visionary leaders and founders who saw through the problem in the first place and moved first to create their dynamic solutions.
Recent Mentions on Fool.com
- How the 3D Printing Sector Is On Track to Deliver a 200% Return in 2013
- How Ciena Earnings Could Beat Juniper Networks and Cisco Systems
- Don?t Count Taiwan Semiconductor Out
- BlackBerry's 3 Major Blunders
- Why Adobe Systems Should Finally Stand Up to Oracle and Salesforce
- 3D Systems' Game-Changing Announcements From EuroMold