A first mover is a company that gains an advantageous position by being the first to establish itself in a given market.
Companies that move first revolutionize their industries and the lives of customers by featuring products or services that reflect a new solution to old problems. These companies often hit the public markets fairly early with high valuations and high expectations that scare off most investors. But first-movers have an advantage in visionary leaders and founders who saw through the problem in the first place and moved first to create their dynamic solutions.
Recent Mentions on Fool.com
- 3 Best Stocks to Invest in 3D Printing
- The Next Blue Chip Stocks: Stratasys, Ltd.
- Is Sony Falling Apart Before Our Eyes?
- 3 Reasons Edwards Lifesciences Corp.'s Stock Could Fall
- How 3D Systems Corporation's LayerWise Acquisition Sets It Up for Success
- What Makes Airbus A320 the World's Best-Selling Narrow-Body Airplane?