A first mover is a company that gains an advantageous position by being the first to establish itself in a given market.
Companies that move first revolutionize their industries and the lives of customers by featuring products or services that reflect a new solution to old problems. These companies often hit the public markets fairly early with high valuations and high expectations that scare off most investors. But first-movers have an advantage in visionary leaders and founders who saw through the problem in the first place and moved first to create their dynamic solutions.
Recent Mentions on Fool.com
- Can Jay-Z's New Music Service Outplay Pandora?
- Investors' Love/Hate Relationship With Stratasys Stock
- Netflix Inc. Gets A Boost, But Can It Stay on Top?
- Investors' Love/Hate Relationship With 3D Systems Stock
- Why Netflix Yada Yada Yada'd Seinfeld
- Is the Race to the Bottom Over for Ctrip.com International, Ltd. (ADR)?