First Solar (Nasdaq: FSLR) designs and manufactures solar modules using a proprietary thin film semiconductor technology.
In 2013, General Electric announced that it was selling its solar panels business to First Solar. The deal included the sale of cadmium telluride thin film technology, which First Solar will use in its plants. GE had previously announced construction of a $300MM plant to make solar panels in Aurora, CO. That investment is now on hold.
For additional information, see the Solar energy article.
Recent Mentions on Fool.com
- The Most Expensive Renewable Energy Stock Worth Buying
- First Solar and SunPower Bring Out the Nerd From Within for YieldCo Launch
- Better Buy Now: First Solar vs. SunPower
- Selling Seadrill For This Reason is the Dumbest Thing You Could Do Right Now
- Following 2 Upgrades and 2 Price Target Hikes, Is First Solar, Inc. a Buy?