(verb) To finance something is to provide or obtain the capital, or money, for its acquisition or operation. This can be done through lending/borrowing ("How could you afford such a nice car?" "I financed it." Or "IndyMac financed my house."); sale/purchase of equity (part ownership, e.g. "Goldman Sachs financed First Marblehead's wait for the return of the credit market by buying securities convertible to 5.3 million shares."); or outright giving ("His parents unwittingly financed his marijuana habit with their monthly checks.")
- Credit market
- Part ownership
Recent Mentions on Fool.com
- Can American Apparel Get Back to Business Now, Please?
- Should Apple, Inc. Worry About Subsidy Cuts in China?
- 3 Reasons Why Netflix Inc. is Passing the Popcorn
- 3 Reasons YPF Stock Could Fall
- Better Dividend Stock: Starbucks Corporation or McDonald's Corporation?
- Why Vector Group Stock Has Soared 52% in 2014