(verb) To finance something is to provide or obtain the capital, or money, for its acquisition or operation. This can be done through lending/borrowing ("How could you afford such a nice car?" "I financed it." Or "IndyMac financed my house."); sale/purchase of equity (part ownership, e.g. "Goldman Sachs financed First Marblehead's wait for the return of the credit market by buying securities convertible to 5.3 million shares."); or outright giving ("His parents unwittingly financed his marijuana habit with their monthly checks.")
- Credit market
- Part ownership
Recent Mentions on Fool.com
- Shares of Boardwalk Pipeline Partners Declined 10% in September, Here's Why
- Do These 3 Dow Summer Survivors Belong in Your Portfolio?
- Why Conn's Inc. Fell 20% in September
- Verizon Communications Inc Is Feeling the Pressure of Apple Inc's iPhone Upgrade Program
- Why Revolutionary Cancer Vaccine Maker Inovio Pharmaceuticals Was Crushed in September
- How Do YOU Want to Spend Your Money in Retirement?