Express Scripts (Nasdaq: ESRX) provides pharmacy benefit management services, including retail drug card programs, mail pharmacy services, drug formulary management programs and other clinical management programs for HMOs, health insurers, third-party administrators and employers.
As a full-service pharmacy benefit management company, Express Scripts, Inc. provides health care management and administration services on behalf of their clients, which include health maintenance organizations, health insurers, third-party administrators, employers, union-sponsored benefit plans, workers’ compensation plans, and government health programs. There are two reportable segments: Pharmacy Benefit Management (“ PBM”) and Emerging Markets (“EM”). Under this structure:
- PBM services include network claims processing, home delivery services, patient care and direct specialty home delivery to patients, benefit design consultation, drug utilization review, formulary management, drug data analysis services, distribution of injectable drugs to patient homes and physicians offices, bio-pharma services, and fulfillment of prescriptions to low-income patients through manufacturer-sponsored patient assistance programs and company-sponsored generic patient assistance programs.
- The EM segment provides services including: distribution of pharmaceuticals and medical supplies to providers and clinics; distribution of sample units to physicians and verification of practitioner licensure; fertility services to providers and patients; and healthcare account administration and implementation of consumer-directed healthcare solutions.
Source: Express Scripts, Inc. April 29th, 2009 10-Q
Recent Mentions on Fool.com
- Did Valeant Pharmaceuticals Make Another Bad Bet?
- Does AbbVie's Viekira Pak Warning Land Express Scripts in the Penalty Box?
- Express Scripts Holding Company Reports Solid Third-Quarter Results
- Specialty Drug Classes That Are Costing Consumers an Arm and a Leg
- Express Scripts Holding Company Q3 Earnings: What to Watch