Earnings or accounting earnings are a company's profit, (generally referred to as net income), after a period of 3 months or a year. Earnings, in the general sense, can be wages for labor, company profits, or any other increase in money an entity enjoys.
Earnings are often reported as earnings per share. This number is arrived at by dividing earnings by the number of shares outstanding on a specified date. Earnings per share are said to be fully diluted when the number of shares outstanding is expanded to include shares to be created by outstanding convertible securities and stock options.
Related Fool Articles
Recent Mentions on Fool.com
- Endeavour Silver Corp Earnings: What to Expect Monday
- FuelCell Energy Inc Earnings: What to Expect Monday
- Apple and Coca-Cola: High Quality for a Bargain Price
- This $12 Billion Hedge Fund Company Has Sold Valero, Sysco, and Hewlett-Packard
- Why You Shouldn?t Buy OmniVision?s Outlook
- Is This Goldman Conviction Buy Really a Buy?