Drug discovery is usually the major function of the pharmaceutical industry. A key player is fundamental research often conducted at universities or research institutes, frequently supported by government grants or sometimes by private sponsors or charities. Those studies may yield a new understanding of a disease process. Drug discovery then undertakes to identify the right material exploit the new knowledge usually to block the disease or speed natural healing processes. Once active candidates are identified they must be thoroughly investigated to understand any toxic properties. Eventually proper dosage forms and therapeutic ranges must be determined. Clinical trials proceed in stages to demonstrate efficacy in patients and identify any problems such as side effects. Finally the drug receives approval by the FDA. Then physicians must be trained to use it usually through a variety of marketing efforts.
Related Fool Articles
Recent Mentions on Fool.com
- How Big Is This Risk for Isis Pharmaceuticals, inc. Stock?
- Why Organovo Holdings Inc Stock Bulked Up Today
- Top Stocks to Watch Today: St. Jude Medical, Abbott Laboratories, Eli Lilly, Pfizer
- Why ANI Pharmaceuticals Inc. Stock Roared Higher
- Pharma?s Huge Bet on Immunotherapies
- Better Buy: Isis Pharmaceuticals vs. Arrowhead Research