A distribution is a payment made from a qualified retirement plan to the account holder or beneficiary. Qualified plans include IRA, 401(k), 403(b), 457, etc. The distribution is a taxable event, which is reported to the IRS and must be reported on your annual income tax returns.
Disambiguation: Distribution also refers to the system of warehouses that allows a manufacturer or importer to ship usually truckload quantities from his factory. The distribution center typically holds quantities of the product and ships mixed case lots to individual stores or their regional distribution centers. The distribution center may be owned by the manufacturer, the retailer or a middle man distributor.
Related Fool Articles
- [link link title]
Recent Mentions on Fool.com
- STAG Industrial Keeps Growing, but How Far Can It Expand?
- 5 Things McKesson Corporation's Management Wants You to Know
- Johnson Controls Earnings: How the Restructuring Is Starting to Pay Off
- Stocks With Monthly Dividends 2014: Atlas Resource Partners, L.P.
- Chart Industries Q3 Earnings: "Good News, Bad News" Quarter, but the Long Term Remains Solid
- 3 Reasons SunEdison Inc's Stock Could Rise