A distribution is a payment made from a qualified retirement plan to the account holder or beneficiary. Qualified plans include IRA, 401(k), 403(b), 457, etc. The distribution is a taxable event, which is reported to the IRS and must be reported on your annual income tax returns.
Disambiguation: Distribution also refers to the system of warehouses that allows a manufacturer or importer to ship usually truckload quantities from his factory. The distribution center typically holds quantities of the product and ships mixed case lots to individual stores or their regional distribution centers. The distribution center may be owned by the manufacturer, the retailer or a middle man distributor.
Related Fool Articles
- [link link title]
Recent Mentions on Fool.com
- Netgear's Earnings: Solid Quarter Sends Mixed Signals
- Warren Buffett Lost Billions This Week -- Is He Losing His Touch?
- Is There a Hidden Danger in Viacom's $7 Billion Stock Buyback Plan?
- The Heavy Construction Industry: Investing Essentials
- 3 Reasons Consolidated Edison Stock Dividends Are Here to Stay
- SUPERVALU Inc. Earnings Hit the Target, But Are Better Times Ahead?