A distribution is a payment made from a qualified retirement plan to the account holder or beneficiary. Qualified plans include IRA, 401(k), 403(b), 457, etc. The distribution is a taxable event, which is reported to the IRS and must be reported on your annual income tax returns.
Disambiguation: Distribution also refers to the system of warehouses that allows a manufacturer or importer to ship usually truckload quantities from his factory. The distribution center typically holds quantities of the product and ships mixed case lots to individual stores or their regional distribution centers. The distribution center may be owned by the manufacturer, the retailer or a middle man distributor.
Related Fool Articles
- [link link title]
Recent Mentions on Fool.com
- Can I Take Out My 401(k) When I'm Not Working?
- Why Apple, Inc. Doesn't Care About Black Friday
- Shell Midstream Partners Is Likely to Have a Stupendous 2016
- Why the Microgrid Is the Next Big Growth Opportunity in Energy
- What Investors Need to Know About Itron, Inc.'s Q3 Earnings
- Writedowns or Operating Results? Making Sense of Seadrill Ltd Earnings