A distribution is a payment made from a qualified retirement plan to the account holder or beneficiary. Qualified plans include IRA, 401(k), 403(b), 457, etc. The distribution is a taxable event, which is reported to the IRS and must be reported on your annual income tax returns.
Disambiguation: Distribution also refers to the system of warehouses that allows a manufacturer or importer to ship usually truckload quantities from his factory. The distribution center typically holds quantities of the product and ships mixed case lots to individual stores or their regional distribution centers. The distribution center may be owned by the manufacturer, the retailer or a middle man distributor.
Related Fool Articles
- [link link title]
Recent Mentions on Fool.com
- Marvel vs. DC: Can You Guess Which Is the Better Business?
- 3 Critical Tax Penalties to Avoid at All Costs
- The Self-Driving Car and the Future of Mobility
- Will Google's Biggest Announcement This May Involve Apple's iPhone?
- You're Making 80% Less in Dividends, Should You Keep This Loser?
- Is This Tiny Biotech Still a Buy at All-Time Highs?