Depletion is an income tax deduction usually claimed on Schedule E that recognizes that a mineral is consumed as it is mined. Depletion reduces the cost basis of the asset essentially converting part of the income from ordinary income tax rates to capital gains.
Royalty trusts often are publically traded limited partnerships which provide a tax package detailing how to file income taxes. Depletion is usually one of the deductions that reduces taxes paid on their unit payments.
Related Fool Articles
Recent Mentions on Fool.com
- 3 Surprising Beneficiaries of a Minimum Wage Boost
- 3 Social Security Figures All Americans Should Know
- What Is the Definition of Affluenza, and Do You Have It?
- A Brief History of Bank of America in Crisis
- Nursing Home Costs May Nearly Bankrupt You Unless You Plan Ahead
- Inherited IRA: 3 Things Every Beneficiary Should Know