Depletion is an income tax deduction usually claimed on Schedule E that recognizes that a mineral is consumed as it is mined. Depletion reduces the cost basis of the asset essentially converting part of the income from ordinary income tax rates to capital gains.
Royalty trusts often are publically traded limited partnerships which provide a tax package detailing how to file income taxes. Depletion is usually one of the deductions that reduces taxes paid on their unit payments.
Related Fool Articles
Recent Mentions on Fool.com
- The Average American Is Just Plain Wrong on Social Security
- Why Women Have Less Money in Retirement
- 10 Quick Steps to Plan for Retirement in Your 30s
- 3 Stocks to Watch in Housing
- What Does Obama's Clean Power Plan Mean For Natural Gas Stocks?
- 4 Reasons Now May Be the Perfect Time to Buy National Oilwell Varco