Depletion is an income tax deduction usually claimed on Schedule E that recognizes that a mineral is consumed as it is mined. Depletion reduces the cost basis of the asset essentially converting part of the income from ordinary income tax rates to capital gains.
Royalty trusts often are publically traded limited partnerships which provide a tax package detailing how to file income taxes. Depletion is usually one of the deductions that reduces taxes paid on their unit payments.
Related Fool Articles
Recent Mentions on Fool.com
- 5 Financial Moves to Make Before Year's End
- What Alliance Resource's Management Thinks You Should Know About the Coal Market
- $1 Billion for This Tiny Craft Brewer. What Does It Mean for Boston Beer?
- OPEC Issues Another Warning of a Future Oil-Price Spike
- The Real Threat to Your Retirement Portfolio -- It?s Not What You Think!
- How Does Social Security Work?