Depletion is an income tax deduction usually claimed on Schedule E that recognizes that a mineral is consumed as it is mined. Depletion reduces the cost basis of the asset essentially converting part of the income from ordinary income tax rates to capital gains.
Royalty trusts often are publically traded limited partnerships which provide a tax package detailing how to file income taxes. Depletion is usually one of the deductions that reduces taxes paid on their unit payments.
Related Fool Articles
Recent Mentions on Fool.com
- Offshore Drilling: Gulf of Mexico Heading for a New Record Despite Oil Price Plunge
- How MLPs Work: A Beginning Guide for Dividend Investors
- 20 Stocks With Monthly Dividends: San Juan Basin Royalty Trust
- How You Can Earn $100,000 Per Year in Retirement
- Is Craft Brew Alliance Inc a Good Sin Stock to Buy?
- Stocks With Monthly Dividends: Hugoton Royalty Trust