A default occurs when a borrower fails to make interest payments or refund the principal as required by the terms of the debt instrument. A default empowers the lender to take legal action to recover its funds. Those actions can include foreclosure, seizure of assets, or forcing the borrower into bankruptcy court.
Related Fool Articles
- [link link title]
Recent Mentions on Fool.com
- 5 Things American Realty Capital Properties Inc.?s Management Wants You to Know
- The Latest Internet Outage is a Warning Shot
- Foursquare Ups its Game Against Yelp and Google in Restaurant Search
- 5 Things YPF's Management Wants You to Know
- Who?s The Big Winner From New Credit Score Rules?
- Bankruptcy Can Save Your Home From Foreclosure