A default occurs when a borrower fails to make interest payments or refund the principal as required by the terms of the debt instrument. A default empowers the lender to take legal action to recover its funds. Those actions can include foreclosure, seizure of assets, or forcing the borrower into bankruptcy court.
Related Fool Articles
- [link link title]
Recent Mentions on Fool.com
- Is This Student Loan Debt Collection Tactic Out of Control?
- Are Higher Taxes For Corporations Actually Increasing Risk in the Economy?
- Baidu, Inc. Wants to Become a Leader in Artificial Intelligence
- Is It Time to Buy iShares China Large-Cap ETF (FXI)?
- Is It Time to Buy YPF Stock?
- Is Now the Right Time to Sell Your Bonds?