A default occurs when a borrower fails to make interest payments or refund the principal as required by the terms of the debt instrument. A default empowers the lender to take legal action to recover its funds. Those actions can include foreclosure, seizure of assets, or forcing the borrower into bankruptcy court.
Related Fool Articles
- [link link title]
Recent Mentions on Fool.com
- Cisco Systems Inc.: Spending $635 Million to Join the Best Internet of Things Stocks
- The Big Fat Greek Crisis
- Why MBIA Inc. Dropped 12% on Talk of a Puerto Rico Restructuring
- How Much Exposure Does Bank of America Have to Greece?
- Greece Stares at the Abyss: What It Means for U.S. Investors
- Why This Billion Dollar Fund Manager Is Betting Big On Microsoft Corporation