A default occurs when a borrower fails to make interest payments or refund the principal as required by the terms of the debt instrument. A default empowers the lender to take legal action to recover its funds. Those actions can include foreclosure, seizure of assets, or forcing the borrower into bankruptcy court.
Related Fool Articles
- [link link title]
Recent Mentions on Fool.com
- Does Staples Have a RadioShack Problem?
- Today's Retail Movers and Shakers: Staples, Office Depot, and RadioShack
- Bank Loans to Small Businesses on the Rise
- Why Sarepta Therapeutics Inc. Might Have a Fighting Chance
- Is this the End of the Trans-Pacific Partnership?
- Mortgage Servicers Face an Uncertain Future