A default occurs when a borrower fails to make interest payments or refund the principal as required by the terms of the debt instrument. A default empowers the lender to take legal action to recover its funds. Those actions can include foreclosure, seizure of assets, or forcing the borrower into bankruptcy court.
Related Fool Articles
- [link link title]
Recent Mentions on Fool.com
- Can American Apparel Get Back to Business Now, Please?
- 3 Reasons YPF Stock Could Fall
- 5 Banks With Impressive Return on Equity
- Why Microsoft Must Launch Cortana For iOS and Android
- 3 Reasons Microsoft Corporation's Windows 9 Will Succeed
- Better Dividend Stock: ARMOUR Residential REIT Inc. or Invesco Mortgage Capital Inc.?