A default occurs when a borrower fails to make interest payments or refund the principal as required by the terms of the debt instrument. A default empowers the lender to take legal action to recover its funds. Those actions can include foreclosure, seizure of assets, or forcing the borrower into bankruptcy court.
Related Fool Articles
- [link link title]
Recent Mentions on Fool.com
- Apple's iPhone Success Is Bad News For Android, Windows, And Blackberry Phones
- 25 Major Factors That Caused or Contributed to the Financial Crisis
- Can Ally Financial Cope With the Loss of General Motors?
- Behind the Curtain: SolarCity May Not Be the Rockstar It Claims to Be
- U.S. Silica Holdings Inc.'s Excellent Earnings Eclipsed by Guidance
- 3 Value Stocks Near 52-Week Lows Worth Buying