In accounting, debit means to raise the balance of an asset account or to lower the balance of a liability or equity account.
The common sense definition is "to lower," but accounting is not common sensical. In the T-format of entering amounts into different accounts, debit is the left-hand side. For asset accounts, "debit" means an increase in the balance.
Related Fool Articles
Related Community Blogs
Recent Mentions on Fool.com
- Heartland Payment Systems Rings Up Even More Profits
- Facebook Inc's Biggest Advantage in E-Commerce
- Potential Amazon.com Killer Jet.com Launched This Week: Here's What You Need To Know
- This Court Ruling Has the Potential to Crush the Marijuana Industry
- Amazon?s Prime Day Event is About Much More Than Good Deals
- Stocks to Watch in E-Commerce: eBay (and PayPal)