Ctrip.com International (Nasdaq: CTRP) is a consolidator of hotel accommodations and air tickets in China. It was founded in 1999 and is headquartered in Shanghai, People's Republic of China.
In a nutshell, an online and call-center travel agent, providing airline tickets, hotel accommodations, and packaged tours for travelers within China. It has arrangements with several thousand hotels so that it can sell the rooms directly to travelers. Packaged tours include transportation and accommodation, and can also include local tours.
As China continues to expand economically, travel within the country continues to climb, both from its own citizens and from international visitors. Ctrip provides a convenient means of booking travel within the large country. It serves more than 1.5 million customers and accounts for approximately 3% of all flight bookings in China (with higher penetration in major urban areas).
An investment in this company is an investment in the growing economy of China and the growing influence of a free market upon its people.
Risks include a decline in travel due to higher costs and governmental intervention, limiting the number of travelers. Fear of potential epidemics (such as avian flu caused a couple of years ago) can also have negative effects on travel, with consequent negative effects upon the company.
Major competitors include eLong.com, controlled by ITA/InteractiveActive Corp. and Mangocity.com.
- Chairman and co-founder -- James Jianzhang Liang
- CEO and co-founder -- Min Fan
- CFO -- Jane Jie Sun
Recent Mentions on Fool.com
- Rite Aid Rallies, Home Depot Slips As Investors Await Housing Data
- Ctrip and MakeMyTrip Fly in Different Directions
- Why Generac Holding, Goodyear Tire & Rubber, and Ctrip.com International Jumped Today
- Why Pier 1 Imports, Qunar Cayman Islands, and Bed Bath & Beyond Tumbled Today
- 5 of Last Week's Biggest Losers