Corning (NYSE: GLW) operates as a technology company developing various communications products and numerous high tech ceramics products including fiber optic cables and Gorilla Glass used in tablet computer touch screens..
Corning is a traditional innovator in the field of ceramics. The company invented Pyrex Glass, fiberglass, Corning Ware, and all varieties of silicone oil and rubber. It is a JV partner with Owens Illinois in Owens Corning, with Dow Chemical, in Dow Corning, and via Dow Corning in Hemlock, the largest US producer of polysilicon.
In 2014, Hemlock announced plans to write off its $1.6B investment in a new polysilicon plant in Clarksville, TN. This resulted in a $500MM writeoff to both Dow Chemical and Corning. The plant is the victim of low cost polysilicon imported from China.
Recent Mentions on Fool.com
- 3 Things You Need to Know About Samsung's Galaxy S6 and Galaxy S6 Edge Flagship Phones
- Corning Is About to Make Sapphire Displays Obsolete
- 5 Things Corning Incorporated's CFO Wants You to Know
- Corning Incorporated Turns In Another Great Quarter
- How Corning Incorporated's New Iris Glass Ushers In Startling Possibilities for Ultra-Thin LCD TVs