A collection agency is an organization that specializes in the collection of overdue debts. They are best known for hassling people who owe money by telephone or in person with a knock on the door.
Creditors who feel that your bills are overdue and have failed to talk you into payment can decide to turn the bill over to a collection agency. The collection agency usually keeps a portion of funds collected. They can also attempt to garnish wages.
Related Fool Articles
Recent Mentions on Fool.com
- Who Are The Real Winners In The Time Warner Cable/Charter Communications Deal?
- Which Companies Do the Worst at Keeping Your Data Safe?
- 7 Top Stocks to Buy In July
- Senior Discounts: Save Thousands of Dollars Starting at Age 50
- Will China Be Netflix Inc.'s Toughest Expansion Market?
- Everything You Need to Know About Amazon Echo