A collection agency is an organization that specializes in the collection of overdue debts. They are best known for hassling people who owe money by telephone or in person with a knock on the door.
Creditors who feel that your bills are overdue and have failed to talk you into payment can decide to turn the bill over to a collection agency. The collection agency usually keeps a portion of funds collected. They can also attempt to garnish wages.
Related Fool Articles
Recent Mentions on Fool.com
- Wow! The IRS Will Pay Out This Much in Fraudulent Tax Refunds By 2016
- 3 Stocks That Are Nothing but Dividend Yield Traps
- Will Europe Help PRA Group Bounce Back in 2015?
- 1 Top High-Yield Dividend Stock You Can Buy Today
- When General Atomics Makes a Drone, This Other Company Makes a Profit
- Why Did This Billionaire Buy Another 5 Million Shares of Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac?