A collection agency is an organization that specializes in the collection of overdue debts. They are best known for hassling people who owe money by telephone or in person with a knock on the door.
Creditors who feel that your bills are overdue and have failed to talk you into payment can decide to turn the bill over to a collection agency. The collection agency usually keeps a portion of funds collected. They can also attempt to garnish wages.
Related Fool Articles
Recent Mentions on Fool.com
- Defense News Roundup: U.S. Special Forces Award a $10 Billion Contract
- How Main Street Capital Corporation Will Mimic Its High-Yield Peers
- U.S. Government Deals a Devastating Blow to For-Profit Education
- Looking for a Job? Uncle Sam Wants to Give You a Tax Break
- OmniVision Technologies Surges on Earnings
- Do You Live in One of America's Most Innovative States?