A collection agency is an organization that specializes in the collection of overdue debts. They are best known for hassling people who owe money by telephone or in person with a knock on the door.
Creditors who feel that your bills are overdue and have failed to talk you into payment can decide to turn the bill over to a collection agency. The collection agency usually keeps a portion of funds collected. They can also attempt to garnish wages.
Related Fool Articles
Recent Mentions on Fool.com
- Ford's New Technology Could Make Parking Problems a Thing of the Past
- The Surprising Dark Side of Forgiven Debt
- Does a Reverse Mortgage Make Sense for You?
- How IBM is Challenging Intel in China
- Can You Guess Which Country Is Stockpiling $6.5 Billion Worth of Weapons? (Hint: It?s Not Russia)
- Managing Your Credit Report Just Got a Lot Easier