A collection agency is an organization that specializes in the collection of overdue debts. They are best known for hassling people who owe money by telephone or in person with a knock on the door.
Creditors who feel that your bills are overdue and have failed to talk you into payment can decide to turn the bill over to a collection agency. The collection agency usually keeps a portion of funds collected. They can also attempt to garnish wages.
Related Fool Articles
Recent Mentions on Fool.com
- Cheap Stocks Wall Street Hates: Chimera Investment Corporation
- 4 Steps to Follow if a Debt Collection Agency Scam Is Happening to You
- How to Improve a Credit Score Fast
- How Come My ISP Won't Increase Internet Speed and Lower My Bill, Like They Do in Sweden?
- 3 Reasons General Electric Company Is Betting Big on Energy
- The Complete List: Bank of America's Legal Fines and Settlements Since 2008