A collection agency is an organization that specializes in the collection of overdue debts. They are best known for hassling people who owe money by telephone or in person with a knock on the door.
Creditors who feel that your bills are overdue and have failed to talk you into payment can decide to turn the bill over to a collection agency. The collection agency usually keeps a portion of funds collected. They can also attempt to garnish wages.
Related Fool Articles
Recent Mentions on Fool.com
- How to Qualify for the Lowest Home Loan Rates
- 4 Tricks to Boost a Credit Score
- Social Security: Can My Benefits Be Seized by Collectors?
- The Future of These 2 Big Dividends Might Be Powered By Garbage (No, Really)
- Hate Paying Optional Airline Fees? Consider Flying With This Airline
- 3 Solid Reasons Waste Management Inc. Looks Attractive