The cash burn is the amount of money an unprofitable company is using to run its business. It shouldn't be confused with the loss on the income statement as that usually includes non-cash expenses like employee stock options.
The cash burn is helpful in determining how long a company can survive until it will need to get further financing or go bankrupt.
Recent Mentions on Fool.com
- 3D Systems Corporation (DDD) Is Burning Through Cash. Should Investors Worry?
- Why Ariad Pharmaceuticals, Inc. Stock Catapulted 19% Higher in November
- Is Exelixis, Inc. Stock Doomed?
- 3 Ways Biotechs Can Raise Capital Without Bleeding Shareholders
- The Most Important Number You Need to Know Before Buying InvenSense Inc Stock
- Gilead Sciences Inc. Just Paid $125 Million for Something It Can't Use for a Year