The CBOE Volatility Index was introduced in 1993. It "measures market expectation of near term volatility conveyed by stock index option prices," according to  this webpage from the CBOE. The VIX tracks the S&P 500.
Related Fool Articles
- The VIX Says Sell? Bull!
- Volatility Will Make You Rich
- Meet the Fear Index
- VXX FAQ - Rough Draft on TMF PRO message board
Recent Mentions on Fool.com
- Stock Market Rollercoaster -- Understanding This Week?s Volatility
- CBOE Holdings, Inc. Revenue Tops Expectations Even as Trading Volume Remains Muted
- 3 ETFs the Smartest Investors Are Buying
- Tesla Motors Inc and Apple Inc: Who's Imitating Who?
- The Week Ahead: Greece, China, and the Fed
- Will the CBOE VIX Predict the Next Stock Market Crash?