The CBOE Volatility Index was introduced in 1993. It "measures market expectation of near term volatility conveyed by stock index option prices," according to  this webpage from the CBOE. The VIX tracks the S&P 500.
Related Fool Articles
- The VIX Says Sell? Bull!
- Volatility Will Make You Rich
- Meet the Fear Index
- VXX FAQ - Rough Draft on TMF PRO message board
Recent Mentions on Fool.com
- Federal Reserve: The 1 Thing Investors Should Bank On
- Oil News: Saudis May Have Kickstarted Stocks' Volatility for 2015
- The 3 Smartest Things You Can Do With Your Cash Right Now
- 1 Stock I'm Eyeing If the Market Crashes
- We're Already in a Bear Market; You Just Don't Realize It Yet
- Has the Stock Market Crash of 2014 Begun?