In retail, Black Friday is the Friday after Thanksgiving, when people traditionally start their Christmas shopping en masse. Stores hope the sales will put them "in the black," i.e. into profit.
Recent Mentions on Fool.com
- What to Expect From Amazon, Target, Wal-Mart, and More on Cyber Monday
- Survey Says Amazon Will Beat Target, Wal-Mart This Holiday Season
- Keurig Kold Is a Hard Sell Even at $199.99
- Will Deep Holiday Discounts Hurt Profit Margins at Macy's and Target?
- Wal-Mart Stores, Inc.'s Plan to Get the Jump on Cyber Monday
- Don't Buy a TV on Black Friday