Ben Bernanke is the head of the Federal Reserve; 2006 - ????.
Bernanke was appointed by President George W. Bush to succeed Alan Greenspan on 2/1/06. He is an economist who received his PhD from MIT. He has had the misfortune of stepping into his job at the beginning of one of the greatest crises the Federal Reserve has ever faced. A scholar of the Fed's actions in the great depression, Bernake considers deflation to be public enemy number one in a financial crisis. His every move (many of which have thus far been very controversial) will likely be studied by economists for decades.
Some on Wall Street refer to him by the unflattering nickname "Helicopter Ben" due to his supposed penchant for rescuing troubled banks.
Related Fool Articles
- Who's More to Blame: Ben Bernanke or Credit Derivatives?
- Just Stop, Ben Bernanke
- Ben Bernanke Is Destroying Our Financial System
Relevant External Links
Recent Mentions on Fool.com
- General Electric Can't Keep It Together -- and That's a Good Thing
- How You Could Save More Than $45,000 on Your Mortgage
- With the Benefit of Hindsight ?
- The Secret to Becoming a Successful Investor
- Social Security: The Conspiracy Theory 98% of Retirees Believe (But You Shouldn't)
- 4 Reasons Retirement Saving Strategies Fail