Bank of America
Bank of America (NYSE: BAC) is a financial holding company headquartered in Charlotte, North Carolina. It operates many different business lines, including over 6,000 retail bank offices,18,500 ATMs, credit card, insurance, mortgage, and corporate and investment services.
Established in 1874, Bank of America, or BofA as it is affectionately nicknamed, is one of the largest banks in the United States by market cap and by virtue of it's over 200,000 employees.
In 2008, Bank of America acquired Merrill Lynch, the largest traditional stock broker. The merger was arranged to rescue Merrill which found itself short of liquidity during the subprime mortgage debacle.
Recent Mentions on Fool.com
- What Could Make Bank of America's Stock Soar When It Reports Earnings on Wednesday
- Will Bank of America Pull a Citigroup or a JPMorgan Chase Tomorrow?
- Why the Target Data Breach May Have Been a Great Thing, According to Wells Fargo & Co and Bank of Am
- "I Was There When We Changed People's Lives"
- 2 Stocks to Buy During a Market Correction: Bank of America and Citigroup