Bank of America
Bank of America (NYSE: BAC) is a financial holding company headquartered in Charlotte, North Carolina. It operates many different business lines, including over 6,000 retail bank offices,18,500 ATMs, credit card, insurance, mortgage, and corporate and investment services.
Established in 1874, Bank of America, or BofA as it is affectionately nicknamed, is one of the largest banks in the United States by market cap and by virtue of it's over 200,000 employees.
In 2008, Bank of America acquired Merrill Lynch, the largest traditional stock broker. The merger was arranged to rescue Merrill which found itself short of liquidity during the subprime mortgage debacle.
Recent Mentions on Fool.com
- 3 Ways the Internet of Things Will Change Bank of America and Citigroup
- 3 Cheap Bank Stocks that Have Dropped More than 13% Over the Past Month
- Use This Simple Strategy to Take Advantage of Bank of America?s Recent Drop
- Here Are the 3 Reasons I?m Bullish on Bank of America's Stock (Particularly After Last Week's 10% De
- 3 Stocks Near 52-Week Highs That You Can Still Buy