Bank of America
Bank of America (NYSE: BAC) is a financial holding company headquartered in Charlotte, North Carolina. It operates many different business lines, including over 6,000 retail bank offices,18,500 ATMs, credit card, insurance, mortgage, and corporate and investment services.
Established in 1874, Bank of America, or BofA as it is affectionately nicknamed, is one of the largest banks in the United States by market cap and by virtue of it's over 200,000 employees.
In 2008, Bank of America acquired Merrill Lynch, the largest traditional stock broker. The merger was arranged to rescue Merrill which found itself short of liquidity during the subprime mortgage debacle.
Recent Mentions on Fool.com
- Believe It or Not, This Bank Has the Worst Reputation
- Will Bank of America Corp. Raise Its Dividend in 2015?
- Keep It Simple, Stupid -- My Mantra for Stock Investing
- Is Corruption on Wall Street Endemic or Does It Just Seem Like It Is?
- Bank of America Is Spread Too Thin, Outmatched By Competitors, and Should Be Broken Up