Bank of America
Bank of America (NYSE: BAC) is a financial holding company headquartered in Charlotte, North Carolina. It operates many different business lines, including over 6,000 retail bank offices,18,500 ATMs, credit card, insurance, mortgage, and corporate and investment services.
Established in 1874, Bank of America, or BofA as it is affectionately nicknamed, is one of the largest banks in the United States by market cap and by virtue of it's over 200,000 employees.
In 2008, Bank of America acquired Merrill Lynch, the largest traditional stock broker. The merger was arranged to rescue Merrill which found itself short of liquidity during the subprime mortgage debacle.
Recent Mentions on Fool.com
- 2 Eye-Opening Charts About Bank of America and the Financial Crisis
- Here's Why Bank of America's Shares Trade for a Discount to Book Value
- Chart: Bank of America Is Closing Branches as Mobile App Users Grow
- Here?s Why Bank of America?s Trading Operations Weigh on Its Share Price
- 6 Things to Watch For When Bank of America Reports Earnings