Bank of America
Bank of America (NYSE: BAC) is a financial holding company headquartered in Charlotte, North Carolina. It operates many different business lines, including over 6,000 retail bank offices,18,500 ATMs, credit card, insurance, mortgage, and corporate and investment services.
Established in 1874, Bank of America, or BofA as it is affectionately nicknamed, is one of the largest banks in the United States by market cap and by virtue of it's over 200,000 employees.
In 2008, Bank of America acquired Merrill Lynch, the largest traditional stock broker. The merger was arranged to rescue Merrill which found itself short of liquidity during the subprime mortgage debacle.
Recent Mentions on Fool.com
- The Worst 3 Bank Stocks for the Next 10 Years
- 3 Value Stocks Near 52-Week Lows Worth Buying
- Why Haven't More Wall Street CEOs Gone to Jail Since the Financial Crisis?
- Bank of America Corp. Could Learn a Lesson About Dividends From This Under-the-Radar Bank
- Are Banks Actually Evil, or Does It Just Seem That Way?