Backwardation refers to a situation in which the price of futures contracts gets lower as the delivery date gets further in the future.
So a contract with a delivery date four months from now would be cheaper than one with a delivery date two months from now. The opposite situation is called contango.
Related Fool Articles
Recent Mentions on Fool.com
- Does Caterpillar or Deere Build the Better Dividend Paying Machine?
- The 1 Reason This Stock Is Down 98% in the Past 10 Years
- BP's Hidden Value
- Who Makes the Most Money From Housing: Wells Fargo, JPMorgan, or Bank of America?
- How 1 Regional Bank Crushed Its Competitors
- Is FedEx's Trouble With the Feds a Game-Changer?