Backwardation refers to a situation in which the price of futures contracts gets lower as the delivery date gets further in the future.
So a contract with a delivery date four months from now would be cheaper than one with a delivery date two months from now. The opposite situation is called contango.
Related Fool Articles
Recent Mentions on Fool.com
- 3 Best Stocks to Watch in Drones
- The Best Stock to Invest in Copper
- Warren Buffett Just Made Berkshire Hathaway's Biggest Stock Holding Even Bigger
- Gilead's Sustainable Competitive Advantage
- SandRidge Energy Inc Raises $1 Billion in Additional Debt Sending its Stock Sinking
- Undervalued Stocks in Biotech Worth Buying