Backwardation refers to a situation in which the price of futures contracts gets lower as the delivery date gets further in the future.
So a contract with a delivery date four months from now would be cheaper than one with a delivery date two months from now. The opposite situation is called contango.
Related Fool Articles
Recent Mentions on Fool.com
- Are You Overeducated? The Surprising Way It's Hurting Your Career
- Solid Bank Earnings Could Signal an Opportunity for Investors
- Easier Mortgages Are Coming Back -- Will They Boost the Housing Market or Cause Another Crash?
- Danger Lurking for El Paso Pipeline Partners L.P.'s Dividend?
- Danger at 3D Systems Corporation: Employees Might Hate Their Jobs
- 17 Expert Ways to Save Money Every Day