Backwardation refers to a situation in which the price of futures contracts gets lower as the delivery date gets further in the future.
So a contract with a delivery date four months from now would be cheaper than one with a delivery date two months from now. The opposite situation is called contango.
Related Fool Articles
Recent Mentions on Fool.com
- Oil Prices Drop As Saudi Arabia Stays Pat on Oil Production
- Stock Markets Look to Santa Claus to Bring New Record Highs
- Where You'll Find the Top Income Stocks for 2015
- One Overlooked Apple Inc. Technology Investors Should Pay Attention To
- Our Favorite Internet of Things Stocks For 2015
- 3 Key Takeaways for Annaly Capital Management and American Capital Agency Following the Federal Rese