Backwardation refers to a situation in which the price of futures contracts gets lower as the delivery date gets further in the future.
So a contract with a delivery date four months from now would be cheaper than one with a delivery date two months from now. The opposite situation is called contango.
Related Fool Articles
Recent Mentions on Fool.com
- Earnings Roundup: Does Medidata's Stumble Present An Opportunity?
- The World's Best Dividend Portfolio
- What the HBO Deal Means for Amazon Prime
- Wohlers: There Are Major Obstacles for 3-D Printing to Overcome
- Are Chipotle's Increasing Food Costs Cause for Investor Concern?
- Ford Motor Company Earnings: Will Growth Come Back?