Backwardation refers to a situation in which the price of futures contracts gets lower as the delivery date gets further in the future.
So a contract with a delivery date four months from now would be cheaper than one with a delivery date two months from now. The opposite situation is called contango.
Related Fool Articles
Recent Mentions on Fool.com
- Black Friday and Cyber Monday: All Hype or a Key Weekend for Retailers?
- Billionaires Jeff Bezos and Elon Musk Clash in Reusable Rocket Race
- 1 Tech Stock for 2025
- Don't Want to Go Broke in Retirement? Annuities Can Help
- Why Growth Is the Enemy of Solar Stocks
- 4 Reasons Why Millennials May Be Worse Off Than Baby Boomers Come Retirement