Backwardation refers to a situation in which the price of futures contracts gets lower as the delivery date gets further in the future.
So a contract with a delivery date four months from now would be cheaper than one with a delivery date two months from now. The opposite situation is called contango.
Related Fool Articles
Recent Mentions on Fool.com
- General Electric Company Earnings: 4 Things You Might Have Missed
- Can You Guess Which State Won't Pay for Hepatitis C Drugs?
- Citigroup and AT&T Want To Give You Your Next iPhone For Free (Seriously)
- How HBO and Netflix, Inc. Are Fighting Back Against Piracy
- Why Does Costco Have Less Merchandise On Its Shelves Than Other Retailers?
- Earnings Preview: Ford Investors' Patience Could Be Tested This Week