Backwardation refers to a situation in which the price of futures contracts gets lower as the delivery date gets further in the future.
So a contract with a delivery date four months from now would be cheaper than one with a delivery date two months from now. The opposite situation is called contango.
Related Fool Articles
Recent Mentions on Fool.com
- Are the Earnings at LivePerson Hiding Something?
- Don't Get Too Worked Up Over Finish Line's Earnings
- Here's How Viacom Is Making You So Much Cash
- Don't Get Too Worked Up Over Teledyne Technologies's Earnings
- Are the Earnings at Lifepoint Hospitals Hiding Something?
- Citigroup Stock Edges Higher in Flat Market