Backwardation refers to a situation in which the price of futures contracts gets lower as the delivery date gets further in the future.
So a contract with a delivery date four months from now would be cheaper than one with a delivery date two months from now. The opposite situation is called contango.
Related Fool Articles
Recent Mentions on Fool.com
- What You Need to Know About PepsiCo's Earnings Release
- Why SolarCity Corp. Is Ready to Rebound
- Is Autodesk, Inc. Destined for Greatness?
- Is Ruby Tuesday?s 20% Stock Pop a Case of Low Expectations?
- If Coca-Cola Acquires Keurig Green Mountain, Shareholders Should Be Outraged
- Facebook Inc.'s eCommerce Interest Is Nice but Not Game-Changing