Backwardation refers to a situation in which the price of futures contracts gets lower as the delivery date gets further in the future.
So a contract with a delivery date four months from now would be cheaper than one with a delivery date two months from now. The opposite situation is called contango.
Related Fool Articles
Recent Mentions on Fool.com
- Can Yelp, Inc. Continue Its Outstanding Growth?
- After Tanking 20%, Is GameStop Corp. Stock a Buy?
- How Google Messenger Could Cause Big Problems for Facebook and WhatsApp
- G2E 2014: Why Las Vegas Sands' Sheldon Adelson is Fighting Online Gaming
- 2 Things Windstream Holdings Inc. Dividend Investors Need to Know
- How Las Vegas Sands Might Be Investing $15 Billion in Its Future