Backwardation refers to a situation in which the price of futures contracts gets lower as the delivery date gets further in the future.
So a contract with a delivery date four months from now would be cheaper than one with a delivery date two months from now. The opposite situation is called contango.
Related Fool Articles
Recent Mentions on Fool.com
- Chipotle Stock May Still Be Undervalued
- Comcast/Time Warner Cable Merger Decision Pushed Back to Mid-2015; Does This Kill the Deal?
- Oil Prices To Fall or Fly Depending on Iranian Nuclear Talks
- Why Pioneer Energy Services Corp.'s Shares Popped 12% Today
- Is General Mills, Inc. Stock a Buy?
- 3 Things You Need to Know About Tesla Motors This Month