Backwardation refers to a situation in which the price of futures contracts gets lower as the delivery date gets further in the future.
So a contract with a delivery date four months from now would be cheaper than one with a delivery date two months from now. The opposite situation is called contango.
Related Fool Articles
Recent Mentions on Fool.com
- Sierra Wireless Inc. Finds More Risk Than Reward in the Internet of Things
- Why Jeremy Clarkson's Heading to Amazon Instead of Netflix Is a Big Deal
- Warm Weather Cools Off UGI Corp.'s Earnings
- What to Expect When Markel Corporation Reports
- Is Potbelly Corp Finally A Buy At Its Original IPO Price?
- 5 Things American Tower Inc.'s Management Wants You to Know