Backwardation refers to a situation in which the price of futures contracts gets lower as the delivery date gets further in the future.
So a contract with a delivery date four months from now would be cheaper than one with a delivery date two months from now. The opposite situation is called contango.
Related Fool Articles
Recent Mentions on Fool.com
- Are These Stocks the Best Investments You Can Possibly Make?
- 3 Reasons Danaher Corporation's Stock Could Fall
- 3 Reasons Seadrill Ltd's Stock Could Fall
- How Safe Is Calumet Specialty Products Partners' Sky-High Yield?
- What You Need to Know About Credit Card Rates
- Here's Why General Electric Company Is Putting Billions into Aviation