Backwardation refers to a situation in which the price of futures contracts gets lower as the delivery date gets further in the future.
So a contract with a delivery date four months from now would be cheaper than one with a delivery date two months from now. The opposite situation is called contango.
Related Fool Articles
Recent Mentions on Fool.com
- There's a Silver Lining to Recent Security Breaches if You Know Where to Look
- After Being a Confirmed Supplier in the iPhone 6, Is Invensense Stock a Buy?
- Dividend Aristocrats: Time to Buy ExxonMobil?
- Which Company Will Make You More Money: 3M or DuPont?
- How to Plan Lucrative Saving Strategies Before Quitting a Job
- Intel Corporation's Core M Significantly Outpaces Apple's A8 Chip