Backwardation refers to a situation in which the price of futures contracts gets lower as the delivery date gets further in the future.
So a contract with a delivery date four months from now would be cheaper than one with a delivery date two months from now. The opposite situation is called contango.
Related Fool Articles
Recent Mentions on Fool.com
- 3 Questions Going Into Google Inc. Earnings
- Winter Is Coming to IMAX: "Game of Thrones" Gets the Widescreen Treatment
- MicroStrategy Incorporated Stock Plunges 10% on Q4 Revenue Miss
- How iRobot Corporation is Investing for the Future
- Why Seagate Technology PLC Fell as Much as 11.6% Today
- McDonald?s Can?t Spend its Way out of This Mess