Backwardation refers to a situation in which the price of futures contracts gets lower as the delivery date gets further in the future.
So a contract with a delivery date four months from now would be cheaper than one with a delivery date two months from now. The opposite situation is called contango.
Related Fool Articles
Recent Mentions on Fool.com
- Why the Infiniti Q50 Eau Rouge Is a Monster and Infiniti Needs to Build It
- Is This the Start of the Nuclear Renaissance?
- Government Money Meant to Save Houses Is Being Used to Destroy Them
- Is the Government Lying About the Housing Recovery?
- Wal-Mart and Food Delivery: Quietly Preparing for Success
- Target: Opportunity or Still in the Cellar?