What is Foolsaurus?

It's a glossary of investing terms edited and maintained by our analysts, writers and YOU, our Foolish community.

Arthur J. Gallagher

Arthur J. Gallagher (NYSE: AJG) is an international insurance brokerage and risk management services firm. The company is headquartered in Itasca, Illinois.

Company Description

Gallagher is engaged in providing insurance brokerage and third-party property/casualty (P/C) claims settlement and administration services to entities in the U.S. and abroad. Gallagher’s brokers, agents and administrators act as intermediaries between insurers and their customers and Gallagher does not assume underwriting risks. Gallagher is headquartered in Itasca, Illinois, has operations in fifteen countries and does business in more than 100 countries globally through a network of correspondent brokers and consultants. Gallagher generates approximately 91% of its revenues domestically, with the remaining 9% derived primarily in Canada, the United Kingdom (U.K.), Australia and Bermuda. Gallagher operates three business segments: Brokerage, Risk Management and Financial Services and Corporate, which contributed 72%, 28% and less than 1%, respectively, to revenues during the three-month period ended March 31, 2009. The two major sources of operating revenues for Gallagher are commissions and fees from brokerage operations and fees from risk management operations. Investment income and other revenue is generated from Gallagher’s investment portfolio, which includes invested cash and fiduciary funds, as well as tax-advantaged, clean energy and other investments.

Source: Arthur J. Gallagher & Co. May 1st, 2009 10-Q

Related Companies

Recent Mentions on Fool.com